"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Big Chunk Memorization

Memorization has escaped us so far this year. Oh! The guilt! I dragged out our Memorization Boxes from last year but was faced with working on two sets of memory verses, with two very different children. We gave it a try. It wasn't happening.

As I've strained and prayed to get a hold of my wits today (as much as one can with a head cold!) I thought of my dear Charlotte (Charlotte Mason!! :)) and realized there was a much simpler and more profitable solution. The objective of memorization--as with anything else we attempt--is threefold.

1. That God be glorified in all we do.
2. That we know Him better.
3. That we abide in Him every step of the way.

Today, for us, that means "Big Chunk Memorization!" We've done lots of this before, so it's not new to us. It will be the first time we are all three memorizing something new together. It wasn't hard to choose a passage either. The Psalms are poetic, personal; proclaiming truth and abounding with hope. So in other words, the Psalms work for me!

I chose Psalm 46. What a great passage! And it meets all of our objectives! We'll work on this for a while, then worry about what comes next (Boy! Does that go against my grain!!). To God be the glory!!

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble at its swelling.

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns.
The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
he utters his voice, the earth melts.

The LORD of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Come, behold the works of the LORD,
how he has brought desolations on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
he burns the chariots with fire.

"Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!"
The LORD of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
(Psa 46:1-11)

1 comment:

amy in peru said...

I am SO in agreement! We do our memorization together (when we do it... I've kind of dropped the ball here too lately), it's way simpler for this mommy with too much! But I still use the SCM box as well. I choose verses occasionally that are more child specific and slip them into the box along with our group memory project (for example Monday will have 3 cards - everybody's verse, 11yo's verse on self-control & 10yo's verse on anger mgt) but we all repeat all three. It takes only seconds longer.

We have yet to truly accomplish a very long passage, but we will! Thanks for this post, it reminds me to focus on improving in this!

Your choice is awesome!

Amy in Peru
http://apilgrimsproject.blogspot.com