"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Nature Study Thing

In all my many years of homeschooling--six now--nothing has frustrated me more than my desire to do nature study, and my ineptitude at getting it done. That would be me...standing off to the side, stomping my foot in agitation over what seems like this gigantic hurdle that I can't seem to get over!

I've read all the books--the really, good books, I might add: "Pocketful of Pinecones", "Handbook of Nature Study", "The Charlotte Mason Companion"...

I've faithfully followed the comings and goings of such stalwart nature study champions as Barb (of Harmony Art Mom fame, not to mention the Outdoor Hour Study!) and Melissa of In the Sparrows Nest. For Pete's sake! I remember the day Melissa wrote about completely changing her entire approach to homeschooling after her son had emergency surgery. I was totally enthralled! Now she helps write those great resources for nature study. And here I sit starring out the window! Hey! It's cold out there!

I confess. I grew up in front of the TV. Playing outside was not ever something one did by choice. It was akin to punishment. Well, we don't have TV. My kids do love to play outside. They don't even mind the cold. But I do! And I don't like the heat either (old age?).

But the biggest thing that bugs me is that we live on a new golf course. There is not a tree in sight that is more than 5yrs old. Puny. I've never seen a squirrel in this neighborhood, people! And it's a big neighborhood. Oh! We do have a lake right behind our house. But we are not allowed to go anywhere near it because it's part of the golf course. You can't take walks to it, or explore the vegetation, or critters. Nothing. Just stare at it out the window.

Ok. The flocks of geese do fly over. But flocks of honking geese do seem to lose their appeal after a couple of years.

I did mention the "C" word, right?: critters? Um. I don't like critters. At all. I won't touch ANY of em...ever. The "Ewww" factor is way off the charts for me. And yet. I keep wanting to do this nature study thing.

Heaven help me. I dream of a wooded yard with a babbling creek and the sounds of chirping birds. I have grass. Sigh. I know. I know. Drive to the park! The problems with that are time, discomfort, fear of the unknown and did I mention time? With back problems hiking is not so good. Park benches are not so good. What's that? You hear violins!! Yeah. Me too!

But seriously. I REALLY want to do nature study. I tried to plan it this year. I printed out a bunch of Barb's Outdoor Hour Challenges. So good. And easy. I just can't seem to wrap my head around it to "guide" my children. I have tried the ole "We're going to have nature study, kids! Run outside and observe something. Then come tell Mama all about it!!" Bleck. Oh. Don't get me wrong. They actually didn't mind that at all. But that's not really what I'm wanting for them.

Have you seen Edith Holden's journal?? Oh my! I would seriously love to teach my kids how to do that! Forget them...I'd love to do that!

I guess I correlate nature study with advanced bio-chemistry. NOT in a million years could I tell you anything on THAT topic. That's how I feel about nature. I know nothing. Or pretty close to it. My world is about books!! I read about stuff. I don't dig it up out of the swamp!

How do these nature study people find the stuff they find? It boggles my mind! I guarantee you there is nothing remotely interesting about the stuff in my yard. We dig and find gravel. Regular old new construction, cheap grading, gravel.

And then there's the identification thing. Identification freaks me out! I got a bird guide and we did Jeannie Fulbright's bird book. We loved it. I can't identify a thing apart from brown-headed cowbirds, robins, gold finches and geese. All PRETTY obvious. I have an aunt and uncle who can name every growing thing on the face of the planet! Every weed, flower, tree, plant...EVERYthing. I just do that drooling, starring thing. How do people get that stuff into their heads?!

I really do want to do this! I think this is my third year of trying to get my act together and failing miserably. Either I can't decide what to do, or who to follow, or what topic is interesting and appropriate seasonally... There is almost too much to choose from. Organization is my "thing". Randomness stumps me. For some reason though, I can't give it up. I should be able to do this! I teach my kids math, right?! Surely I can experience a little nature! I know it's more than about the rescue of a few bugs and the gluing of a few leaves in a book. I think it would be so great for the kids, and believe me, after the year we've had, we could use "great".

Christmas break is my next attempt to pull this thing together, get all my acorns in a row (lol) and DO it. So if anyone has conquered the "outdoor" demon, please share how! If anyone wants to hold my hand while we step out into the grassy unknown, let me know that too! Did I mention we have lots of windows to stare out?!!

6 comments:

Daisy said...

What if you start with bringing the outdoors inside? Gather nuts, sticks, pine cones whenever you see them. Whether it be the grocery store or church. Bring them home and find out everything you can about them. Can you identify the seed, describe the texture, draw it, look it up in a book? Might spur the interest??

Susan said...

I hear you. I used to want to do nature studies too. I bought the books, the pencils. We drew one picture. ONE! I just finally had to realize that while it sounded good, and others were doing it with no problem, it just wasn't me. I had to give myself permission to let it go and not compare myself to nature loving people. I have other gifts, and I can pass on the love of sewing or crafting and creating to my children. If God wanted my kids to love nature he would have given them a nature loving mama, or they can love nature on their own without me and that is just fine. My kids get lots of outdoor time and they do all kinds of fun stuff, but sometimes I think turning every experience into school can take the fun out of it. Anyways, maybe that was encouraging in some way.

Belinda Letchford said...

Oh Melissa - you expressed this very well. I have had exactly the same journey. I have put the whole idea on pause - not quite ready to give up but not quite ready to fail yet again either. Maybe we should hold each others hand!

In my head I've come to the place where I have to give it more time - once a week there abouts to head out somewhere close by, to sit, relax, enjoy each other and the outdoors and then pull out the Outdoor hour stuff. We need to relax more!

The other thing I have done to sooth my soul is to encourage photography of nature - that has to count somewhere along the way!!

Look forward to hearing your next step in the new year.

Cindy said...

Alright girlfriend, I'm gonna give you the answer....It may not be what you want to hear...You have to get out there and look. (I don't like to be cold or hot either!) Even if it means driving somewhere like a park, cemetery, friend's neighborhood or farm, a local orchard, or wherever you can go. (You don't have to go on a long hike if you have back problems.) If you really want to do it, it may even mean ditching something else (another lesson, perhaps) and take the time to get outside. I promise - once you start finding God's treasures in creation, you'll be hooked - even on cold days!

Nature study doesn't have to be a "subject" that involves backpacks, notebooks, colored pencils and identification guides all the time either. You may want to do that sometimes, but learning in all sorts of subjects will take place just by taking walks, noticing things, and talking about them with your children. As you (and they) begin finding things, everyone will get excited and want to start collecting, taking photos, finding something in an identification guide and/or pulling out those nature journals.

Really, all you have to do is get outside - anywhere (even in that boring old yard of yours ;) - and walk. Breathe in fresh air, enjoy your children and God will take care of placing treasures for you to stumble upon.

By the way, your post absolutely cracked me up!

Melissa said...

Ditto everything that Cindy said! I see this mistake over and over, thinking that nature study has to be a thought out complicated endeavor, when at it's base, it just needs to be about observing and enjoying God's creation. Sometimes there lots to be found on our walks, sometimes we just benefit from the fresh air on our faces. The point is that you attempt to get out and connect in some way. It may take a bit of time for that "connection" to happen, but our creative God will not take long before He will bring you treasures!

Even though we have a creek and woods behind us, we oftentimes hop in the car and head to the local parks, just to get a change of scenery.

Taking the time for nature study is not something that happened quickly for us, I had to learn to prioritize it, just the same as I would Math of Language Arts. Once I saw the solid benefits and realized the magnitude of them, I and my children were hooked!

Oh, and yes, sometimes we have to be uncomfortable, I don't like to sweat and the truth is I'm TERRIFIED of spiders, but I'm always happy that I push myself beyond that comfort zone.

Blessings for your nature study!!
Melissa
www.inthesparrowsnest.com

NCMom said...

Did you read my mind and publish this post? LOL

January is my month to start anew with a nature study. I'm hoping to use the Snow and Ice unit study from Shining Dawn Books.

I understand the intimidation. But I'm going to just enjoy the nature study rather than make it work. It may just be that particular day that we are marveling in God's creation whether we come upon something new to us or not.

Please keep us posted!