"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Life Without a Gaming System

Because my children do not have personal gaming systems they spend their time:

Playing with their toys. Toys that are often times beneath their age level, but that they still get so much enjoyment out of. Toys that are keepers. Dare I say, even educational toys!

Little People
Legos
Thomas the Train
Snap Sets
Math manipulatives
Matchbox cars
Puppets
Guns (yes! guns!) and bandanas and swords! (Running around the yard in reckless abandon.)
And many
more!


Drawing. My kids have recently discovered how-to drawing books. They love them. They love to draw!

Reading. Books are good! We have lots of books. I'd much rather they read than be glued to the latest gizmo. Last Sunday at church a bench along the wall was lined with boys totally enthralled with their electronic games. Other kids were gathered around. All I could think of was how glad I was that my son spent his ride to church reading his Bible. I didn't have to wonder if I'd be able to talk to him on the way home or if he paid attention in Sunday School.

My son is ten, and I know that sometimes he wants one of those PS2,3,4...whatever they are up to now, things. But I also know that since he hasn't had one, he hasn't missed it. I'm so glad about that! With no TV, they don't see the commercials either, which also helps!

I remember someone close to me once giving me advice on kids (hers were grown) and I remember commenting that I wished my kids would turn out like hers. She said one thing (beyond raising them to honor Christ with their lives) that they did was purposefully choose to not let them have anything above their appropriate age level. That way they would not grow up before their time. Kids' nature, she taught me, is to want the next "oldest" thing. If you think it through, you can see the result of that very clearly in our culture.

Now, I must confess we have a Wii. It was a gift from Grandma and not my choice. I would have said no, and thought about turning it down, but didn't. I do, however, have rigorous requirements to gain play time. One is reading time. And it's not minute for minute. But what I've found is that the longer they are away from it, the less they remember it's there. Don't get me wrong, we've had our bouts of lapsing into comas playing it, and I always end up wanting to pitch it out the window, but I haven't yet. I suppose that's where consistency comes in.

It takes some effort to provide other options, but when I look at my bookshelves brimming with some of the most incredible stories ever written, it's not hard to decide what has more value. When I recall their smiles as we sit around a table playing "Hit the Deck" or "Monopoly Deal", it seems to me a no-brainer. When they beg me to read to them, or go on a bike ride with them, I know I've made the right choice. It's never been about deprevation, but about selection.

Every parent makes choices for their own family and there is no one right way to do anything. I've discovered through circumstances beyond my ability to control, just how short life is; how precious their time with us is. I don't want them to be good decision makers, I want them to be GREAT decision makers! I hope that their strive for excellence will be driven by their desire to glorify a great big God. I try my best to make choices for them accordingly. So this is what works for us; what's been laid on my heart for my children. I know a lot of parents don't feel the same way, and all I can say about that is it's a good thing God didn't make us all the same!

I'm really glad that I have the option to make some of these decisions for my kids. I also know I'm far from perfect. But I keep humbly making them and praying that they'll humor me and look back one day grateful that they wore their legos smooth so they would no longer hook together.

I'd really be okay with that.

5 comments:

Daisy said...

Great post! ITA. Why the big hurry for kids to get into all that "stuff"! I love that my children spend hours building with legos or playing pirates. I love that my 10yo still gets down on the floor and plays Imaginext with her brother.

I'm glad she talks about books she has read and her pets when she is with a group of girls instead of talking about tv shows and using the world LIKE a million times.

I know for a fact my son would turn into a video game zombie if sat in front of one which is why hubby & I just decided from the beginning that we wouldn't have them. So I have a 7yo who climbs into his bed and reads for 2 hours. Yippee!!

You are a good mom, Melissa.

Susan said...

Oh, how I have fought tooth and nail to keep these out of our home. My kids don't miss them either because they don't know what it is like to have them! We just got our 11yr old an ipod shuffle for her birthday. The best thing about that is that I can put on there whatever I want...I still have a say and control over my computer. She listens to praise and worship music and elsie dinsmoor and jonathon park. Ok, my confession, two of my girls have leapfrog systems, a didj and a leapster...but all they get are spelling and math games! LOL THe family is pushing for a Wii. I may cave, but I really don't want it. At least though they have the exercise games! You are doing such a great job Melissa.

Holly said...

I am in total agreement with you! Holly

Stacey said...

"It's never been about deprevation, but about selection"
Amen. You're singing my song!

The part that's been hard for me is my little ones being exposed to my big kids' "age level stuff" earlier than I'd like...but thankfully, the big kids still play with Little People too!

Dustine said...

Amen, Amen, and AMEN!

I think the the next generations will reap the consequences of all the screen time that is becoming so common in homes.

I love to see my kids outside, playing with younger siblings, reading good books....

I came to your blog by way of Roscommon Acres (I think). Good to meet you. :)