"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Gershwin Anyone?

We've been doing a little listening to George Gershwin and these videos just blew us away! Actually, that is putting it mildly. This piece makes me feel great! It is an exciting piece and watching it played like this is awe-inspiring. We were all riveted to the screen as Leonard Bernstein, an incredible musician, plays Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue like no other! All of the various movements in this piece had my children expressing that they had never heard music like this anywhere else.

If you have children that play a musical instrument, this is a great opportunity for them to pick out their instrument from the orchestra. We keep playing it over and over. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have!

A note about these videos. The first one is a much better quality sound than the performance that has been shown in two parts (background hissing), but the ending is cut off. So I recommend watching this for the overall experience and then jumping to about the half-way mark of the second video to see the climax of the piece which really should not be missed!




6 comments:

Daisy said...

We love Gershwin!

Chad said...

Rhapsody in Blue conjures up SO many memories for me...thanks for posting this.

Deidra said...

Hi Friend,

Decided to look you up...hadn't been to your blog in a while..I just want to say this is a beautiful blog, beautiful words, beautiful thoughts coming from a beautiful heart loving a Beautiful Lord!!!!! You seem to have been chosen to be one of those God Trusts with Tragedy!! The fragrance of worship that comes from you even as your heart is between the pestle and mortar, being crushed, is a fragrance that is a sweet smelling sacrifice to God Who Honors your heart and your worship and is an everlasting testimony to those who read it. Continue to love and worship Him with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength....as I endeavor to do the same!!

Love your blog(and your spirit of love and worship to God)...

Deidra
(lovinghim4ever)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to encourage you today! I found your blog 3 days ago while searching for info on the Judah Bible Study. I then spent the last 2 days pouring over your blog. I have two children, 6 months and 2 1/2 yrs old. The Lord has given me the passion and calling to homeschool and although I have a few years to really get into it, I have spent the last year researching, reading and getting advice. I must say I think I have more questions now then I did a year ago. I had been convinced cm was the way to go( and still am loving it) but I didn't see the Lord being the focus. From your site I found the principle approach and DOZENS of resources that have gotten me exicted all over again. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for allowing Holy Spirit to guide and direct you as you pursue the Lord and nurture your childrens spirits as well as minds. I am so encouraged and feel more confident to do what the Lord is asking of me. God is using you...you have quite a ministry and again, thank you.

through His love,
Whitney

p.s. one thing i am trying to figure out with cm is how to afford all those books! i saw your shelves and would love to have a library for my kids like that but how do you afford it?! Any great resources you can post on that topic?

Kim said...

Love the music. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Gershwin is the best.

Jeanne said...

We're starting Gershwin on Monday. This is perfect!! Hurrah!

Thank you!