"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Saturday, March 07, 2009

God is in the Details

God is in the details. All the little seemingly unimportant details. Those believed to be meaningless, steps along the way. And I have found, that as I remember daily where my hope and confidence truly lies, those details become teachable moments. What was once just a stop along the way, becomes the catalyst which guides me to better understanding. It is the song that was written just for me.

Life is a long journey where every day builds upon the ones before. I do not treat today, as I did any day before. I count it, like He counts it. And I surrender. It is in the surrender, that there is peace. It is in the laying down that we are at home, for anything else is just an illusion; a trap of the enemy to give false confidence and false triumph.

If I do not trust in Him who is most able to sustain me--if I believe I know what tomorrow will bring--I can count it as lost. I must remember who designs my days and for what purpose. Temporal, or eternal. I must remember!

When I rest in who I am, instead of whom I belong to, I cheat myself. Though memories and experiences often chart my path, they don't lay my path. He lays my path and it is much narrower than I've ever supposed. It must fill me up. There must not be room for anything else. Everything else is dust in the wind; chaff that is found wanting.

If my heart lingers for a moment on myself, my self will shine in place of Him who draws me up and sets me on my way. The guessing, the contemplating, the striving for understanding...they mean so little to me now. What matters is the next moment He has for me.

Those that will look honestly and deeply, will know. Those that cannot see, will not see. May those I love, see. May they know what I know, and better. May they hold fast.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
(Php 4:8)
Children will follow. They will listen. Whether what I speak is lovely, or wretched. The path is narrow, but God is in the details. May I be worthy enough for them to hear. My feelings and emotions deceive, cause pain, and regret. They also give the greatest joy because He made them to. The desires. The heart. He made them to glorify Him. Yes. My heart is wicked. Yes. My heart belongs to You, Lord. Do with it what You will. Create in me a clean heart.
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.
(Psa 51:10)

Once I was lost, but now I'm found. Was blind, but now I see. His grace is sufficient for me; for even me. The Lord is my strength and my song.
"Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the LORD GOD is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation."
(Isa 12:2)
I'm ready to go. I want to go home.

Neon lights flickering
Outside the cafe
Ice on the windshield
Stars in a black sea
On a winter road
Flurries of snow
I'm ready to go

Past farmhouse and pasture
Our voices together
Rise to the drumming
Of big-rigs and trailers
Long hours to daylight
A rumbling bus
Our bed and our board

Heavenly Father
Remember the traveler
Bring us safely home
Heavenly Father
Remember the traveler
Bring us safely home
Safely home

I long for my family
And friends to remind me
Of where I have been
And where I am going
And where I come from

Heavenly Father
Remember the traveler
Bring us safely home
Heavenly Father
Remember the traveler
Bring us safely home
Safely home

(Fernando Ortega)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

These thoughts come from time on your knees and in communion with the Lord. I'm printing them out now. How good to remember this.

P.S. I'm a big Fernando Ortega fan. The Lord has used his music to speak peace to my frazzled soul!

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,

Great post! Very insightful!

Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
please pray for the many requests that may
be found on our main page?

May the Lord bless and enrich your ministry!! :)

Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

ps - please consider "following" our blog -or- atleast
grab one of our free, linking, blue buttons (top
sidebar @ LighthousePrayerLine.org). Be
blessed and be a blessing!