"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Hanging Out in Colorado

One of the many joys of homeschooling is the ability to drop everything and head cross-country. Spontaneity is a great thing, for some, and for us it has often been a blessing. So the reason I was so quiet last week was because much of it was spent driving 1136 miles from Indiana to Colorado. My cousin lives here and has welcomed me and the kids into her castle for a couple of weeks. I say "castle" because it's a tudor style home that my sweet girl is convinced is really a castle! Son is quite thrilled to stay in the "dungeon" and we're all pretty happy that they happen to live on a buffalo preserve. Those suckers seem to be a bit camera shy, though, and all we've been able to see up close is poop. Of course, there are also the antics of the prairie dogs, which are prolific and active all times of the day. Getting their picture, though, has also been difficult without a big ole zoom lense.

We've been attempting to maintain somewhat of a regular school time, but the spring-like weather and the general splendor of Colorado has pulled us to other activities. Sadly, however, husband is not with us this trip. Other demands, you know. That makes choosing our adventures a bit less fun.

Traveling for more than a few days does bring it's own set of issues. Overdue library books that I've renewed 47 times are suddenly non-renewable--grrrr! And then there is the dry climate here that has my children believing something's wrong with their noses! :) Then there is the Wii! Oh my stars! I can barely peel my children from it. If they only knew the joys of playing Pong on the old Atari I had when little! Our cousins have a theater room in their "castle" and so if you add the Wii to the large screen with the amazing sound system...and the reclining leather chairs...it's just all pretty crazy. Very hard to compete. Son did ask me this morning if he "could play Wii after he read Bible for awhile??!!" Hilarious.

I'm trying to plan some of our week and trying to make the most of our time. I'll try to post more often while we're here, but I might be Wii racing instead!

5 comments:

EEEEMommy said...

Miss you, friend! Enjoy your time in the castle. I hope that cousin of yours treats you like a princess! ;) As always, continued prayers!
Grace and Peace,
Angel

Netherfieldmom said...

How fun for you! Lucky! Having livestock certainly cuts down on the travelling options...Have a GREAT time, although it is going to be 60 degrees here this week! Yea!

Jeanne said...

Oh my!! How romantic!! Who needs regular schooltime when there's all that going on?

Have a great break - hope you win the Wii racing at least once or twice against the kids!!

Jeanne

Daisy said...

Because your every post inspires me...an award (which you don't have to do if you don't like them). Come and see.

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

HI! I'm just dropping a line of greeting, from Australia. I found your blog for the first time tonight, via lifestyle-homeschool.com, and had to comment on how similar our blogs setups are, lol!
We must have similar tastes. :)
Looking forward to reading more from you in the future.
Alecat