"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Planning for Holy Week

According to recent homeschool buzz, it's that time of year. That end of year panic and frenzy to accomplish something. I've stared aghast at my calendar for a couple of weeks as I've begun to consider where we are and what we need to do.

Honestly...Charlotte has made such a huge difference in our lifestyle, that I'm left a little perplexed by the usual questions of "completion" and "summer". Since I had to start somewhere, I began with the calendar and the first thing I realized is just how close we are to Holy Week.

After verifying a couple of dates, I pulled out my copy of Robin Sampson's Biblical Holidays and began plotting Holy Week. I love the chart that she shares about the events of Jesus' life in regard to Passover and the Crucifixion and the Resurrection. It's so helpful to see the Biblical events put on a Jewish calendar and then seeing how it fits into our calendar. This is a good year to compare as Easter Sunday actually falls on Nissan 17 (daytime), which, at sunset, is the actual time of the Resurrection.

It's a relief to get this on the calendar and planned! It's a relatively simple thing that can be overwhelming when I'm not prepared. Now I'm ready to look to the rest of our learning for spring-time.

Read more about spring Biblical holidays here.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

I love your new header picture.

I think we all need a Holy Week.

Spring Break is always Holy Week for us. It makes it a bit hard to get our focus where it needs to be when we running around at the beach or zoo.

I need to be more deliberate.

Kayluray said...

Our household has been very busy and draining this year. I was really hoping we could learn about Passover and the Jewish traditions that correspond with Easter and you have given me a wonderful resource here. Thanks so much for sharing it.