"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Habit of Attentiveness

We have a little problem at our house.  The problem is deeply rooted and is second only to disobedience.  It's Inattentiveness.  In reviewing some of my Charlotte Mason materials on habit, I realize I've failed in teaching the habit of Attentiveness to my little beloved children.  So with new determination and encouragement, I hit the shelves.
 
At this year's homeschool convention, I purchased a couple of booklets from the Character Sketch series by the Institute for Basic Life Principles. I had never used these before, but had heard good things and my 6yo LOVES anything having to do with animals, so I believed the correlations to the animal kingdom would be interesting to her.

We began this week with the book on Attentiveness and it is fabulous!  I am thrilled with what we've discussed so far and how foundational it is in teaching.  Jesus is the ultimate example, God's design is clearly celebrated, and the personal application is deeply rooted in God's Word and in building Godly habits and traits that will help us all grow in our personal relationships with Him.

In just a few short days, both my 6yo and 10yo have a understanding and personal desire to have their own quiet times each day.  My 6yo cried as she expressed her anxiety over not quite being able to read God's Word for herself.  When we talked of all the scriptures that she has already memorized and how God would love for her to meditate on them for herself, she was overjoyed! 

My 10yo son expressed his own frustration with not knowing where to read.  I shared with him, what had been shared with me when I felt the same way:  know the date and read the chapter that goes with the date!  Start with Proverbs, or any other book of the Bible!  Well, he loved having the "hard decision" removed from his thoughts and ran for the door, Bible in hand, to the top of the play set, for his QT.


We decided on QT's before they rise from bed each day.  We'll try that and see.  I'm just so thrilled that they are excited and eager to spend time with the Lord!  There's much more to learn, for all of us.  I'm pretty sure there will be more to share!

2 comments:

Renae said...

Melissa,
I am needing this lesson, too. It is so easy to be distracted, and that just transfers to my children.

We actually talked this morning about how we are going to work on listening to each other. And you are right, we need to listen to God, too.

Glad you are back to posting. I think about you often...

EEEEMommy said...

Excellent! We need to spend focused time on habits too. I love that you encouraged, L to meditate on the verses she has already memorized!! And wanting to read God's Word for herself is the best incentive for learning how to read. God will bless that desire, and she'll be reading His Word on her own with confidence in no time!! :)