"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

More Thoughts on Attentiveness

I suppose I'm out of blogging practice because it only took me five minutes after hitting the "publish" button before I realized that I had quite a bit more to say on the subject of attentiveness. 

Things began to come to a head about a week ago with behaviors and attitudes being a bit sparky. Since my family has been through the ringer, we've come to appreciate a bit of grace, but this ole Mama was starting to feel a little beat up by her own kids.  At first I excused their behavior, but then I realized something needed to change and this was not a "just a bad day" situation. Bad attitudes had become bad habits and were proving to be very, very contagious.  Beginning to feel a bit heated about how quickly behaviors had deteriorated, I called for help.  For some reason the Proverbs always come first to mind when thinking about behavior, and this time was no different, but as I read I was continually reminded of what I've learned about habit from Charlotte Mason.

I pulled a few of my favorite resources off the shelf and re-perused:  "Laying Down the Rails", "Habit Revisited", and "Smooth and Easy Days".  It wasn't till I got through "Habit Revisited" again that I finally understood that teaching habit was more about laying a solid foundation that includes teaching the habits of obedience and attentiveness first and foremost. 

So that was my jumping off place.  Teaching any habit will never be easy, but I can see, and am thankful for how God lays the groundwork for these times of sanctification, for that is truly what they are! He has helped prepare us all for learning these things.  It's hard not to rejoice!

No comments: