"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

If She Only Knew

The word "hic*key" (excuse the *'s to prevent unwanted traffic!) hasn't been used in my house ever. The last time I probably heard it was 8th grade (public school, of course!). So you can imagine my shock and horror when I discovered a very large "one" on my daughter's upper arm. Speechless, I gasped and sputtered looking for the proper thing to say. "That" word was NOT chosen. Once we realized how it got there, we were stunned (to say the least).

It turns out, my 4yo daughter has taken a liking to su*cking on her own upper arms. She does this until a very pur*ple mark appears! This is definitely a new one on me. Why on earth she would take to that habit is beyond me. I promise you...she is getting enough to eat! After repeated warnings and appeals to quit, I'm down to pulling out the long sleeves in this 90 degree weather and getting (hopefully) my point across.

Ewww! My poor baby... What ever is it that's causes children to come up with stuff like this?!

It's just a phase. It's just a phase. It'll pass. It'll pass. It's just a phase.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 8yo did that recently, and I told her it wasn't "appropriate." Lol. Kids!

EEEEMommy said...

Sounds like you handled it as well as you could. I don't have any advice. I understand your exasperation though!

Anonymous said...

she does it because she can. She does it THERE because she can reach it. It will get boring and she will stop. Unless she figures out how to make Mom squeal - in which case she will do it for a really long time. Trust me - this is one that I have experienced. Big question - is she doing it to anyone else?

OkieDebbie said...

HI there! I came here through Happy Housewife (I think-lol-did a search on frugal homemaking tips and got here somehow through that ;) I want to comment on the arm sucking issue-I think all but one of my 5 kids went through this at one time or another-somewhere between age 4 and age 8--it is weird and sort if icky, but it shall pass, I promise ;) I even have a friend whose dd made one on her lil bro's face-OY! Have a blessed day and I will be checking out your blog more!