"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Monday, July 21, 2008

Spell to Write and Read: "Learning Log" Notebooking Pages

We LOVE our Spell to Write and Read! We are just beginning our fourth year with it and after so much "practice", I'm finding there are a few things I like my own way.

Though we loved the primary learning logs, we do not like the black 3rd yr+ logs. Too much work for the results. So, in an effort to simplify, I've made my own necessary notebooking pages. These include "collection" pages that were not originally in the learning logs, but were suggested. Such as abbreviations, homophones, etc. Son has enjoyed "collecting" these words and categorizing them.

I'm making these pages available to anyone interested. I've also put the link in my sidebar. I hope that they will be of benefit.

We keep them in a three-ring report folder with a clear front. Son creates his own cover for each year which makes things more appealing to him. Some pages may require more than one page, and it never hurts to have a blank for some extraneous word collecting.

Please let me know if you "grab" these, and what you think!
*Link has been edited. Please re-try new link to file.

*These pages are not endorsed by SWR. Nor are they absolutely true to the program. They are my expression of how we currently use the program with our 8yo son who is very much the reluctant writer. These pages may be used for any spelling program or notebook. They are my more relaxed attempt to add back in some of the content of what was in the black learning log that we skipped last year because of writing.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Melissa! I've been wondering about starting a new spelling notebook every year. It is a lot of work. I like the idea of reviewing and adding to what we already created. Maybe putting our spelling in a binder is the way to go.

Anonymous said...

This is such a fabulous and informative post. Thanks so much.

We are currently hosting a Mr. Linky through the summer to help others with homeschooling ideas, reviews, etc. in planning for next year. We'd love it if you'd like to link!
http://happytobeathome.net/homeschooling-wednesday/

Thanks!!

Unknown said...

great sheets! thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have read this years ago. This program never clicked for us! These pages would have been a big help. I am sure many others will benefit from your work!
Toni

karen said...

This is exactly what I've been looking for!! I am new to notebooking...just starting. I have been thinking of how I could incorporate notebooking with SWR as I do not like the black logs either. Melissa thank you for sharing!!

Tiffany said...

These pages are so wonderful! Thank you so much for making them available to my family! What a tremendous blessing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing! Titus 2 women are rare these days...most of them want to charge a fortune for their wisdom and experience. Thanks for being a true guide to women coming along after you. We're still in the primary log, but I look forward to using your pages when we make the switch. Also, I love your website and look forward to exploring it. From what I've seen so far, it looks as though we have much in common :)
Blessings,
Amy
www.BetterMothers.com

Barbara.jacoby@comcast.net said...

I love what you have done by transforming the log to a 3-ring binder. Is there a way to learn how you formatted these pages so I can do the same for the primary log? There are just a couple of pages missing (as far as I can tell) and I would like to add to what you have so brilliantly done to make a complete set. Thanks for your hard work!
Barbara

Farrah said...

Hi Melissa,

Just wondering if you still have your own created Spell to write and read sheet available for download. Thanks in advance. Farrah

Tiffany said...

Hi Melissa,

I would love to use your pages, but I can't seem to get the links to work. Is there anyway that you would be willing to send my the download via email?

Thank you so much!

Tiffany