"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Children's Song

Occasionally we'll come across a poem in our Poem-A-Day, that is special and then it's just too hard not to share it. While we love so many, it's the surprises that delight. This one today had that affect. (Emphasis mine.)

The Children's Song
(from Puck of Pook's Hill)

Land of our Birth, we pledge to thee
Our love and toil in the years to be;
When we are grown and take our place
As men and women with our race.

Father in Heaven who lovest all,
Oh, help Thy children when they call;
That they may build from age to age
An undefiled heritage.

Teach us to bear the yoke in youth,
With steadfastness and careful truth;

That, in our time, Thy Grace may give
The Truth whereby the Nations live.

Teach us to rule ourselves alway,
Controlled and cleanly night and day;

That we may bring, if need arise,
No maimed or worthless sacrifice.

Teach us to look in all our ends
On Thee for judge, and not our friends;

That we, with Thee, may walk uncowed

By fear or favour of the crowd.

Teach us the Strength that cannot seek,
By deed or thought, to hurt the weak;
That, under Thee, we may possess

Man's strength to comfort man's distress.

Teach us Delight in simple things,
And Mirth that has no bitter springs;
Forgiveness free of evil done,
And Love to all men 'neath the sun!

Land of our Birth, our faith, our pride,
For whose dear sake our fathers died;
Oh, Motherland, we pledge to thee
Head, heart and hand through the years to be!

7 comments:

Jennifer Hoots said...

Now that's a poem worthy of sharing. Thanks. It's a moving prayer.
Jenn

Anonymous said...

Wonderful - worthy of memorizing!

Are you familiar with the poetry of Edgar Guest? We love his works. We have a tiny little book of his poetry titled 'Just Folks'.

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

HI there!
I just read your comment on twitter about your love/hate relationship with your blog. I know how you feel! I often want to change my sidebars and take everything off of them and then when I look at it I change my mind. Then I think of starting a new blog, just so I can have a different look.Crazy!
I like your blog, BTW!

I also just read your hymn study post from a few days ago. I have wanted to incorporate hymn study, but haven't done it yet. Thanks for inspiring me! We have read Mr Pipes too, the 3rd one, I don't know why I didn't start with #1. We're also reading Duncan's War another series by Douglas Bond.

This comment has been long enough, have a great day!
Blessings!

Jen F. said...

Thank you for sharing! This was much needed words as I am overwhelmed with all that is going on in our nation! I praise God that He is still in control, even when things seem to be spinning out of control! :) Blessings

Daisy said...

Incredible poem! We love poetry. Poem-a-Day? Is this a book or something you put together??

EEEEMommy said...

That poem just screams Principle Approach! ;) Principle Approach meets Charlotte Mason...Love it!

Thanks for coming over today! I love you! :)