"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Monday, February 09, 2009

Daughter's 1st Poem

Today my 5yo daughter wrote her first poem. This is 100% contributed to the fact that we read poetry every single day during the week. She started to tell me this poem and I could hear the meter in her voice imitating the poets she's heard. We had just read a living math book with a beautiful picture of a moon shining on the ocean at night. This was what she said:

The sunlight shines on the morning sea.
The sea waked up and did the waves.
And the little girls two, played around the sand
and they heard the sound of the sea.
When it got darker and darker, they saw the moon shine on the sea
and that was when they went [goed] back to the hotel.

Shamefully, I did help her correct her grammar in the last line as we've been conquering (repeatedly!) "goed" vs "went". With a gentle reminder, she actually corrected herself, so that is why I included the correct word.

4 comments:

Daisy said...

Very well done!!

My children love poetry also. What better way to express feeling than in a poem.

Jeanne said...

This is gorgeous!!

I'm so glad you thought to write it down...

Jeanne

Heather Mattern said...

Very cute! Dont you just adore those moments!

EEEEMommy said...

She's fantastic!! :) Well done!