"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Monday, February 09, 2009

What We Do Part 1 (of 47 ...Just Kidding!) Hymn Study

It occurs to me that though I live with myself and my constant planning and doing, not everyone reads my mind and knows what we do! I THINK you must know, but I forget to tell you.

So, Charlotte came to stay and we've learned a lot. Here's what our day looks like:

We start off each day singing hymns of praise. We really love the old hymns and are in our 3rd year of studying them. Typically, we learn one new hymn a month, but realistically, we learn more! We soak them in. We talk about the lyrics and read about them if there is a story to go with them. (Check out the Hymns for A Kid's Heart series.) We usually sing 3 or 4 songs each morning; sometimes just the chorus' because, though I would love to tell you we "remember" the words to every verse, we don't. We also don't always focus our learning on every verse--as the Spirit leads, you know!

We are currently in our 2nd of the 4 books in the Mr. Pipes series--"Mr. Pipes and the British Hymn Writers". It is a wonderful book full of lots of inspiration. Since we are also inspired by history, studying hymns in this way has been one of our great joys! Note to Douglas Bond: Make an audio WITH music!

So how did I initially choose the hymns that we would study? My Daddy gifted me with an old hymn book from the church I grew up in and I went through it with a fine tooth comb! I'm fortunate to have a heritage of hymn singing as my Daddy also used to play them at the piano and I would sing along with him. That said, I tinker with the piano, but we don't typically sing hymns with music accompaniment; just acapella. (So whether or not you play a musical instrument, none is required.) I made the effort to copy the lyrics which are almost all online, into Word and print out our own "hymnals". This gives me a record of what we've actually sung and gives my son a copy of his own to have and sing from. Hymns also make a wonderful contribution to poetry study as many were not written to be sung, necessarily. Too, they make for a great source of Copywork and quiet reflection.

Ambleside Online offers a hymn resource with a 12-year rotation of hymns to learn. So if you don't know any hymns, or where to start, they provide all the links and selections and you'll have no excuse.

Just so you know, I've seen hymnals in the public library, as well as at used book sales so they should not be too hard to come by. I understand that many churches that have converted to contemporary praise, or the use of overhead projectors, have stashes of hymnals in the closet. Just ask and you may receive!

Another thing I should mention about hymn singing: It's very contagious and very uplifting. But a warning...you will find contemporary Christian music a little harder to listen to after indulging in great hymns. Especially, if you read about them, examine them, pray them, and make them part of your family life.

As far as listening goes, we have a couple of favorites (of course!). We love Selah's hymns! We also were recently introduced to Fernando Ortega. I'm sure there are many more, but those two have covered many of the bases for us. Occasionally, there will be a gem on youtube that excites us. Remember this?

Personally, I've found hymns to be a great comfort. Second only to scripture. Hymns are a gift to give our children. Like the memorization of scripture, when you learn hymns, you carry them with you the rest of your life. They become a tradition that becomes a response when a response is needed.

We study hymns. For about 10-15 minutes everyday, we sing together. Every friday we read from Mr. Pipes for 15-30 min. Once a month, we intro and read about our new hymn (20-30 min.). Apart from singing, we had quit the "study" and the reading about them because we had no time. Charlotte changed that with "short lessons".

Short lessons are so simple it's irritating to those of us who are driven and controlling and live with a over-anxious agenda. Short lessons is nothing more than reducing the amount of time spent on each topic; focusing instead on communicating one--only one--idea per subject, per day. It's about finding joy in information and ideas and stopping BEFORE they become tedious, demanding, sufficating and STEAL the joy and love of learning. We tried it. She was right.
We now have time and hymn study makes us happy. What else can I say?! It's probably one of our favorite things about each day. If you are interested in what hymn we are currently learning, check my left sidebar. It's always there!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this. We have also began hymn study and daily singing during Family worship and devotions each morning. We have also come to love the great hymns and the stories of the hymn writers. Your Story Hour has many great bios of classical composers, artists and hymn writers in their Great Stories series. Our library has a set of these that we checked out recently and learned all about Bach and Fanny Crosby. I love how they dramatize them! Such a fantastic resource.
One of the many benefits we have found is that we find ourselves singing these beautiful hymns throughout the day. There is nothing like hearing your kids singing "He live, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today!" or "What a friend we have in Jesus" as they go about their day! ( :
My personal favorite is 'A Mighty Fortress' - the words are awesome!
I just got the rest of the Mr. Pipes series (through Paperback Swap! woohoo!) and love your idea of just reading from this on Friday.
I have really written a book here - maybe I should post about this at my blog as well - hee, hee!

Sprittibee said...

I'm a hymn freak and we have 3-4 hymnals at home along with books about them and who wrote them/why. You should check out "Then Sings My Soul" by Robert J. Morgan

I think there are a few in the series. My favorite hymnal is Songs of Faith and Praise by Howard Publishing. I thrill to a hymn sung in 4 part harmony. It is just beautiful.

The words stick with you also - and so many times all it takes to lift your spirits is a meaningful hymn. :)

Anonymous said...

We start our day with hymns, too. I don't know why we didn't do it earlier in our homeschool journey.

We have all of the Hymns for a Kid's Heart series and we just started Mr. Pipes. Inspiring stuff!

Jeanne said...

Don't forget singing the Psalms - they're God's own hymnal...and when you learn a Psalm, you are memorising Scripture at the same time!!

We use a "Book of Psalms for Singing".

Jeanne

Susan said...

I used to not like hymns at all but now I love them. We sing them in our family small group that meets once a week and it is so refreshing. Oh, every since I got a new hard drive I can get your blog up fully and see everything. I am so glad!

Off to go check ambleside and the charlotte mason website.

EEEEMommy said...

I used to be so faithful with this, but have dropped the ball lately. I need to purpose to begin again. One of my fondest memories with my mom was on a trip out to Grove City to take a scholarship exam. The two of us went together, a rare treat! For much of the drive there, we sang hymns. I knew all the verses to so many (or at least 1,2 & 4). ;) It grieves me that I have forgotten so many of them...

Beck's Bounty said...

Thanks for contributing this post to the CM Blog Carnival.

Grace & Peace,
MomToCherubs

Richele said...

What a great idea to print out your own "hymnal" that doubles as a record of what you've studied!

Thanks for such a great article.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this! I have been pondering lately how much I want to instill an appreciation for the hymns in my own children. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the links and suggestions. This is wonderful.
Many Blessings,
Holly@aiminghigh
www.homeschoolblogger.com/aiminghigh

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Wonderful post. I REALLY want to do this. Guess I feel goofy, but I just need to get over myself & my lack of singing talent! What a lovely way to start the day! ♥