"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Thursday, February 12, 2009

What We Do, Part 2: Prayer

Do you start your day by praying with your children? I grew up in a Christian home, participated in youth groups, joined a campus ministry, then went on staff with them (CCC)...but I never prayed aloud. I was terrified, reluctant and basically unsure of what was expected. No one ever told me that praying was simply talking with God. Ok...maybe they did, but if they did, they didn't say it LOUD enough.

Fast forward to the day I found out I was pregnant with my first child. THAT was the day I learned to pray aloud. I prayed over that child SO loud because I realized that day, that the most important thing in the world was that this tiny baby know Jesus. I haven't stopped since.

My children have received an inheritance of prayer. They know what it means to give thanks, to acknowledge the Father, to petition Him. They pray for each other. They pray for their friends. They give thanks continually in prayer. Our hope is that they truly learn the meaning of "pray without ceasing".

I highly recommend a study on the Lord's Prayer, since that is how Jesus taught us to pray. I highly recommend memorizing the Lord's Prayer, and last but not least, I highly recommend reciting it daily with your children.

Teach your children not to be embarrassed or afraid to lift meager words to the ear of the Father. No words are meager! Encourage them to think about what the Lord would want them to consider talking with Him about. While you don't have to curricularize (like that word?!) prayer, do make it a habit. Be sure that they know there are consequences to prayer, as well as to no prayer. Teach them about relationship and as you guide them in Biblical Principles, be sure they understand "Thy will be done".

If they are ever allowed to believe, either actively, or because of indifference, that their prayers do not matter, they will not grow in their relationship with the King of Kings.

This is very preachy, isn't it?! Emotional topic for me.

Please note! It is not necessary to force prayer journals on them (been there, done that!) or to "make" them have a prayer time. Prayer is not about duty. Prayer is about love. Live prayer with them so that it becomes a part of who they are. You do this by praying with them until they miss it when you don't!

Be an example. Establish a habit of praying aloud. Don't wait. They're listening now. It really, truly is up to you! While I never claim to be an authority on any subject, this is what the Lord has shown me as a mother. I hope you can gain from my experience.

After this manner therefore pray ye:
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts,
as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil:
For thine is the kingdom, and the power,
and the glory, for ever. Amen.
(Mat 6:9-13)