"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Friday, June 06, 2008

Civil War Days

We finally made it to our first Civil War Days at nearby Connor Prairie. This is our third year to attempt to go and the first that hasn't been rained out. Though it was quite chilly and included all the joys of mock-five winds, we were happy to see a little sunshine and finally enjoy our first battle re-enactment.

As you can see, son was geared up and raring to go!

We ran into Abraham Lincoln right off the bat.
Daughter was a wee-bit shy!


He did a fabulous job with his presentation. People, mostly kids, asked some tough questions and he never flinched. At one point he took off his hat and dropped letters out of it. This guy's attention to detail was really good!

I was waiting to ask him what his favorite book was. Before I got the chance, he began talking about how his mother had taught him from the Bible and had asked him, on her death bed, to always follow its truths. I was stunned, but pleased! Only one couple got up and left.

Son gave his rapt attention to the words of this famous president.

Then it was gun time. I'm not sure who was more interested...son or husband!

We saw the rank and file as the northern troops had their drill practice.

And we huddled together to keep warm.
We were absolutely frozen!


A little artillery practice.

My sweet family!

The re-enactment was a bit hard to see, but we were still able to make out what was happening. I was a bit disappointed that it was more of a "demonstration" and less of an actual "enactment". I'm a newbie!The cavalry action was the most visible, and thus the most exciting!
We did see a "deserter" who was shot in the back. Ewww!

Oh.
And it was loud.
Some people just don't like "loud"! :)

No comments: