"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hook In

I just went to my very first Hook In. Since I, myself, just found out what that was, I'll share with you that it is a gathering of folks who enjoy the art of Primitive Hook Rug Making. And it is incredible!

My grandmother, whom I'm told I take after, was an avid rug maker...and dress maker, and quilt maker, and doll maker, etc. Unfortunately, she died before I was old enough to learn from her. However, I WAS old enough to remember and to treasure every piece that my mother, then myself, inherited from her.

There are few hand crafts that rival the beauty and usefulness of rug making. As far as handcrafts go, I believe Charlotte Mason would approve. I admit that I was a bit intimidated at first, but I was so excited to carry on a tradition that my grandmother started, that I quickly relaxed and got my groove on. I'm a bit overwhelmed by learning a new craft from the ground up. (I'm old!) New terminology. New time demands. But I know that it will be so incredibly worth it! I can't wait to finish my first piece, learn from my experience and continue with this art.

I'm so surprised that this craft is not more prominent, but I have an "in" now and I'm excited to meet some other "hook-ers" and create. The biggest issue now is what to make and how fast can I get it done and make the next thing! These rugs are "me". Love 'em! (Can you tell?!)

1 comment:

EEEEMommy said...

That's fabulous!!! I can tell that they're "you"! :)
I have never heard of such a thing. It sounds very cool. I'd really like to learn to crochet or knit or something.