"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Friday, September 12, 2008

The Secret to Homeschooling Freedom

I recently downloaded an article from Homeschool Freebie of the Day (you can still get the article here) entitled, "The Secret to Homeschooling Freedom" by Joanne Calderwood. It's subtitled, "How the self-teaching method can revolutionize your homeschool!" We've all heard of self-teaching, as homeschoolers, and I'm sure we all have varying degrees of understanding as to what it truly means. I remember early in my homeschooling days, being told indefatigably, that all homeschooled children would be teaching themselves by fourth grade! Like it just automatically happened as a result of homeschooling! No planning for it by laying the proper foundation. No practicing it with an eye toward any "goal". And no specific direction for reaching that point. Personally, we've used "on-your-own" time, and I confess to sometimes acting as though it was my vacation! Subsequently, those times were sporadic and admittedly neglectful.

I have to say, I'm beginning to understand more correctly, the need, motivation, and results that may come from having children self-learn. Sure, there are extra benefits of more time for mom to get that laundry done and bake bread, or more importantly, be with younger siblings, but what are we really talking about? Instead of the issue being all about "me", suddenly I'm seeing a different picture. One of excellence and purpose. This way of thinking and doing fits perfectly with our foundation of Biblical Principle Approach (The Principle of Self-Governing) as well as our desire to instill habit (good habits!) as a way of life.

Shame on me for never considering that my now fourth grader would need training to study. Or even learn the purpose of record-keeping. Shame on me for setting goals for my children and never letting them in on 'em. Shame on me for doing more for him than I should and thus, not allowing him to do all he could for himself!

As I consider the ideas put forth in the article, I realize that, like any good revelation, the thought process can be defining. I honestly feel as if God has given us a gift of revelation! After I absorbed the information from the article and prayed it through, I sat down with son and told him what I was seeing. He didn't bat an eye, but rather considered it as the next logical step in his "growing up". So, game on!

I'm now working on his own record-keeping pages for his notebook, then I'll be transferring some of my planning sheets for the next quarter over to him to use for his daily work. We'll take a step-by-step approach at first, with him beginning by checking off and owning each task. Then, he'll record his daily efforts. Lastly, he'll plan for his own days. I'm not certain how much time will be between these efforts. We'll take it a week at a time and see. We will also still do a few subjects together: Bible, History read-alouds, and Math. Also possibly Science (Exploring Creation With Botany) as daughter has listened in on our lessons and has picked up quite a bit that she is obviously interested in!

I believe son will truly blossom (do son's blossom?) with this thinking. I'm also encouraged that it will allow our time together to be less taskmaster driven and more Mommy driven, as this has bothered us all from time to time! I'm sure it won't hurt daughter, either!

Now daughter, who just turned "the mighty FIVE", will also begin her training by checking off each subject she accomplishes each day. That will be her job.

If you can't tell, I'm really excited about this next step in our homeschooling journey. God always provides a way, the resources, and the grace and mercy we need to live each day. It doesn't get much better than that!

3 comments:

EEEEMommy said...

I'll have to download that article. This is something we've been working on for months with Ethan, and began a little bit with Elianna last year with just one subject, so we need to continue with her. It is amazing what a difference it makes when they become more independent in their learning! We've had many bumps in the road and still have to stay on top of it (which at this moment in time means a daily 11am phone call to son from dad at work to check his status followed by a face-to-face every evening after dad gets home from work). It certainly doesn't just happen.

Anonymous said...

I downloaded that, too. Guess I better spend some time reading it.

Anonymous said...

Melissa ~

Thank you for sharing your new revelation with all of us. I am intrigued by this and intend to read this article. Please keep us informed as you go along of what you're experiencing and learning from this transition. I'm excited for you!

Take care ~ Beth