"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What Public School Teachers Don't Get (or Even Want...But I Do!)


There is "something" very important to the core of family that happens at a variety of times--good and bad. When homeschooling though, there are extra added elements--time & opportunity--that make this "something" like a warm glowing flame that burns and shines the most awesome light. It makes everything fresh and new. It is divine. What is it, you may ask?


Hugs.


The ones that come when a child spontaneously leaps from his lessons in moments of victory, springing towards you with open arms that soon seal you in the most glorious hug. The ones that come when a child leaps from his lesson, feeling remorse for a rotten attitude and thankful to you for loving him anyway...and he hugs you.

Hugs.


Better, still, when they are given as well as received. In the giving, there is hope (as well as love). There is thankfulness and there is a joy that is immeasurable. There is understanding. Forgiveness. Triumph.


Hugs.


Get some...Give some... today!

1 comment:

EEEEMommy said...

Thank God for HUGS! :)

When I worked in the public school, I actually hugged my students, or mussed their hair, or rubbed their back while they worked. I never thought much about it; it's just what came naturally, and the kids (special ed) responded amazingly. Then one day one of the administrators took me aside and told me that I was too affectionate with the kids and that I shouldn't touch them It wasn't "appropriate." He warned me of the possibility of lawsuits or accusations. I was crushed. It was so difficult for me to turn off that part of myself, and I thought it was such a shame that I was being asked to do so. I'll never forget the last day of school when one of the most troubled and angry students gave me a huge hug and started crying. All the other teachers were amazed as he'd never shown any affection towards anyone else before. Perhaps it's because no one had ever shown him kindness first. We all crave hugs. How sad that so many kids are locked up in schools all day where nobody's even allowed to give them one, even if they cared enough to do so!

Sorry for the novel; you touched a nerve. I'm off to hug my own kids, and pray for that one I'll never get to hug again...