"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Monday, September 01, 2008

Blogoversary!

Today is my three year Blogoversary. It's so hard to believe I've been doing this for three years! It seems like yesterday that I found Homeschoolblogger and started an account. So much has happened since then. The blogging experience has proved to be an interesting one, with all its ups and downs as it found it's place in our lives. As this day was approaching, I considered contests and such, but those things aren't really me. Actually, getting something into the mail is too intimidating for me! :) So, I decided to give you all the back ground (whether you want it or not) on why I do what I do here at Living Life Between the Trees.

Why I started blogging.

The reason I started blogging was simple really. As a homeschooler, I saw the community of bloggers as an extention of what we were doing at home: sharing, caring, and growing in our knowledge of all things homeschool. Seeing so many like-minded moms was encouraging. I never realized what it would truly come to mean.

Friends and Family.
God has such a sense of humor! I never imagined the friends I would meet ONLINE! Shocking. I have one friend who met her husband online and I was pretty sure she was nuts. Hanging out online was just plain strange. Meeting people online was truly unfathomable. Little did I know! One of my dearest real-life friends is a blogging buddy who was across the continent till her husband happened to get a job right here in town. I've met several others and been surprised by how many are right here where I am. But there are also the friends you dream of meeting and figure you probably never will. One of my first blogging friends lives in Australia! That's a long way from Indiana. But regardless, every friendship, every name means something here. God does not cause coincidences. He causes providences.

Then there are the bonds that bloom up and suddenly there is tragedy. And those faces that you know from pictures and stories and comments...those names that seem like neighbors...all their pain becomes your own. Whether it's Marsha, who suddenly lost her son so tragically this past week, or Missy, who died in childbirth, or Heather, with brain cancer. Or sick children..., or broken marriages. You think you're in la-la land until these things make it clear--you're experiencing life. Then you mourn for your friends that you wish you could be with. Your heart aches beyond measure and you cry your eyes out inexplicably. For internet friends. For friends. For sisters in Christ. For your family.

Sacrifices.
Blogging definitely requires a sacrifice of time. Sometimes it's worth it and other times I wonder what in the world I'm doing spending time on the computer when my children want me. I've done the gamet of emotions. I've quit. I've started over. I've laid low. I've set limits. I've scheduled. If you blog, you know exactly what I mean. But with all things, we make decisions and we find balance. That is why the little box that says, "Blogging Without Obligation". I don't sign up to do Gratituesday, or Menu Plan Monday (though I tried it once), or Wordless Wednesday... Those things are great and many have that drive. I just write when I can and when I think it matters. I include my children as much as I can and they love to see OUR family blog.

Purpose.
Over time I've found myself with more of a purpose to blogging. I've had times of challenging myself to give it up, and times of frustration when it seemed no one was paying attention. Then I realized, I'm doing this for me, not out of obligation to anyone else. God made me with certain yearnings. To grow in Him, to share about Him, to teach what I know and share what I teach. To help whenever I can with whatever God puts before me. To take that leader spark that is inside and use it for excellence. I'm not sure if I'm doing all of those things, but I'm sure giving it my best try!

Then there is my precious family. What fun it is to share their milestones and victories with you. I love recording our school efforts for you and posterity. I love sharing really good books with you and fun adventures too. And yes! I carry my camera around and think of blog posts when I use it!

The Future.
I know I'm just going on and on, but I'll wrap it up with this... My blogging future remains to be seen. I only know that for now, I'm very much enjoying the writing, sharing...all of it. I enjoy your comments and emails. I enjoy knowing I'm not alone on this homeschool journey. That not only is the Lord laying out our plans, but yours too. I hope to keep doing what I'm doing, but I also have other dreams and goals. Those of you that also blog have taught me so much and inspired me in amazing ways. Things don't go stagnant for long! There is always some brilliant mom who either yells, "snap out of it", or tells, "there's gold in them thar hills." I appreciate you all and pray for you. Yes I do. I pray for you, often by name, and thank you for being a part of my Living Life Between the Trees. Here's to another three years!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Blog Birthday! I agree with you about the online friends. I never imagined I would find so much encouragement from wonderful ladies I met through blogging. You included! :D

Thank you for sharing your life and homeschool. I always enjoy my visits here.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa ~

Thank you for sharing yourself and your family with all of us out there in blog world. You encourage and teach me more than you know! We may never get to meet face to face in this life...but I have a feeling we'll know each other in the next.

Blessings to you ~

Beth S.

EEEEMommy said...

Well I can't begin to express how thankful I am that you began blogging 3 years ago and continue to do so today! :)
Aren't we overdue for a playdate or something?

Dana said...

Are you saying that I was nuts???

:-)

We just had our 7th anniversary. Hard to believe, eh?

Congrats on your "blogiversary"!

Blessings--
Dana