"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Leaf Collecting

We are currently going through the Exploring Creation Through Botany book by Jeannie Fulbright. This is our third book in the series and so far is tying with the Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day, as our favorite. We love 'em!

So Tuesday, we headed south to my home town for leaf collecting. It just didn't seem right to make our collection from any leaves other than from the same trees that I made my own leaf collection many...many years ago. Especially, with it being relatively close by.



The kids really enjoyed looking for different leaves, but didn't care for the fact that some were unreachable--wayyy up in the sky. We had a brief encounter with a snake crawling over son's foot and a few spider sightings that gave us the willies. We played in the creek--just a bit--and ended up at the playground.


Overall, mission accomplished. I have to say, the nature hike thing is not always as easy as some make it seem. I tried to coax the children into sharing observations and deep thinking, but they weren't having any of that. Charlotte Mason would have flunked me. But, hey! We were there, so that's what matters most. I do wish we had more areas like that to explore closer to home. Living in urban madness, we are somewhat limited.

The next morning, the children enjoyed pressing and gluing their leaves into a book. Son did an admirable job labeling the type of leaf; edge and all, and even tried to identify the type of tree through a Fandex guide. This was a bit more difficult, but he gave it a great effort. Daughter was equally thrilled with the gluing/pressing process and no doubt will be picking leaves off things for her "collection" from now on!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Just getting out there deserves an "A+" in my book! AND, you'd better bet Charlotte Mason would be VERY proud! I have found, especially for certain people, nature can be a more internalized thing; perhaps not producing lot of words, but certainly invoking feelings whether they are voiced or not. My daughter is my "deep thinker" like her Mama and always has lots of words, but my son rarely has those verbal expressions about nature. But I can tell in other ways that it's like a healing vitamin to him when we get out there!

So give yourself a great big ole' pat on the back for making an effort to connect to God's Creation with your children! Even small amounts of time matter if it's on a regular basis.

Oh, and by the way, tree identification is one of the hardest things for me and my children in nature! We are only able to identify them about 50% or less of the time. Great job to your son for trying!

Blessings,
Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

EEEEMommy said...

I think you did awesome! How cool that you could take them to your own old stomping grounds! :) I'm glad you're enjoying the Botany book. I learned so much myself!!