"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Charles Dickens

It's time to move on to our next poet and according to my "list", the next poet is Charles Dickens. I didn't even know that he wrote poems, (you can find them here) and haven't been able to find that many, however, he did write one of my very favorite books; and it's not "A Christmas Carol", but "Great Expectations"! Really, good book.

Interestingly enough, what started only as a new addition to our Poet-a-Day read, has grown. We've decided to read "A Christmas Carol" (even though I'm not a big fan of Christmas things that are not reflective of Christ alone). It's been a long time since I've read the book, but fully expect we'll get some pretty decent character studies from it. I'm sure son will also be thrilled that we will actually be reading something with ghosts in it! Let's face it. There's nothing like great literature. That said, after listening to my Chiropractor's painful telling of the story to my children, I realized it was time to get out my mother's treasured copy of old and have at it (as soon as we finish "Swiss Family Robinson!")

Of course, I also have the movie tucked away for "after", as well as the Focus on the Family Radio Drama (of which we've loved every one). Today I was happy to hear that Homeschool Radio Shows is having a "Dickens Christmas Festival" starting with a wonderful audio book, "Cricket on the Hearth". The accompanying ebook has beautiful black and white illustrations useful for coloring.

Our first "poem" is actually this prayer, which son is using for copywork (more on that soon) and memory work. Son asked me if he was a believer...not sure we have an answer to that one, though his writings do seem to purport some knowledge of God &/or scripture. Of course, back then, most had more knowledge than they do today, regardless of whether they chose to follow Christ. The biographies I've read have been somewhat sketchy in details about his spiritual life and tend to focus on the break up of his marriage, an affair, and then there's the "mesmerizing"?? I left those details out of the lesson! Regardless, God once again used the talents of one uniquely created to tell a story.

A CHILD'S HYMN

by: Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

HEAR my prayer, O heavenly Father,

Ere I lay me down to sleep;

Bid Thy angels, pure and holy,

Round my bed their vigil keep.


My sins are heavy, but Thy mercy

Far outweighs them, every one;

Down before Thy cross I cast them,

Trusting in Thy help alone.


Keep me through this night of peril

Underneath its boundless shade;

Take me to Thy rest, I pray Thee,

When my pilgrimage is made.


None shall measure out Thy patience

By the span of human thought;

None shall bound the tender mercies

Which Thy Holy Son has bought.


Pardon all my past transgressions,

Give me strength for days to come;

Guide and guard me with Thy blessing

Till Thy angels bid me home.


No comments: