"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

James Whitcomb Riley Home


We finally made it to one of the James Whitcomb Riley Homes in Indiana.

We had so much fun reading his poetry a few months back! What incredible storytelling coming through "the Hoosier Poet". Son proudly remembered this memory work:

On Any Ordinery Man in a High State of Laughtur and Delight

As its give' me to percieve,
I most certin'y believe
When a man's jest glad plum through,
God's pleased with him, same as you.


Shamefully, I didn't get a picture of the whole house--what was I thinking?! However, I did get these outdoor pictures. It was very crowded indoors (free day!), and taking pictures was not prudent. I will say it was an amazing preservation of his home of 23+ years...that he didn't even own, but rented a room in...for 23+ years! Astounding. Apparently, in that day and age (around the turn of the century) a single man did not live alone for no respectable woman would come work for him. So they would take up residence in the homes of families they knew. This home, where he died in 1817, was only preserved as the owners had no children to pass it on to. We really enjoyed the tour and I purchased a beautiful hardbound, illustrated copy of "The Raggedy Man"! Love it.

My two kids are the two farthest on each side.

This poem (that was apparently turned into a song at some point) of his adorned the walls outside the bedrooms:

The Perfect Prayer

Dear Lord! kind Lord!
Gracious Lord! I pray
Thou wilt look on all I love,
Tenderly to-day!
Weed their hearts of weariness;
Scatter every care
Down a wake of angel-wings
Winnowing the air.

Bring unto the sorrowing
All release from pain;
Let the lips of laughter
Overflow again;
And with all the needy
O divide, I pray,
This vast treasure of content
That is mine to-day!

I'm sure we'll eventually get to his other home (his childhood home) which is not too far from some friends house. His grave is also in town, so when the weather permits, we should probably go there too...just for fun...'cause cemetaries are fun...right?!! :)

No comments: