"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Memorization for Two

For the past couple of years we've enjoyed the benefits of the Scripture Memory system from Simply Charlotte Mason. I began this year with a new card box for daughter and recently began to realize that there might be a way to improve things.

I ended up combining the kids' boxes together. I color coded daughters much fewer cards, interspersing them with sons many, many cards. I imagine that they'll eventually have mostly the same verses & things memorized, so this should be a time saver. The cards that son has absolutely mastered, I'll mark with a different marking or color. Son may just have to practice his older verses more often, or at least hear them more. Well, hearing more scripture never hurt anyone!! They will still both have verses unique to them daily, but I may try to make all new items for both of them.

We do our memory time together ever since I found out that son was not really "memorizing", but reading quickly through! Uh-huh. So, now we gather together and have a bit of a competition and a game out of it. We spend 10-15 min a day. Son, who's 9 does not want to be out done by his 5yo sister and she wants to be "better" than him at everything. Boy! Does that make things interesting at our house.

I will add that after 2 years of this, son is more interested in choosing his own things to memorize, which is encouraging. I'll have to see how all the wrinkles come out in the fire.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

I've always wanted to do this but we are in Awanas and always have a million verse to memorize for that.

I love the competition! That works around here, too.

Tracy said...

We use this system too as a family...love it!