"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Do You Read?

Since I'm on the topic of books... I read this over at Scraps and Snippets a while back...

Harvey Mackay posts interesting statistics in the article:

51 percent of the American population never reads a book more than 400 pages after they complete their formal education.

73 percent of all books in libraries are never checked out.

The average American watches 32 hours of TV every week.

The average American reads only eight hours (books, newspapers, magazines, Yellow Pages, etc.) every week.


More interesting statistics from Mackay:

If you read just one book per month for 12 straight months, you will be in the top 25 percentile of all intellectuals in the world.

If you read just 15 minutes a day -- every day, for one year -- you can complete 20 books.


15 minutes a day...20 books in a year. Food for thought as the time is fast approaching to make goals for the new year.
This Charlotte Mason thing has me on fire! I'm re-tuning our school room for better "book access" which means cleaning, purging, reorganizing. That should be a good thing, but right now I'd rather eat chocolate and crochet by the fire. Maybe I'll look to that as my reward!

3 comments:

Daisy said...

I've missed your blog! I'm so glad you found me. When I started up blogging again, I had lost so many of my favorites.

I'm blown away by those reading stats. I cannot imagine going through life without READING.

Susan said...

I love to read although I admit I don't always read high quality books. My girls read a lot too, but I need to provide better quality literature for them. I find it hard to remember titles and check out them out at the library. I know I read more than 20 books a year, in fact one year I counted 50. So, yippy, I'm an intellectual. I am thrilled that you have found the CHarlotte Mason way and look forward to hearing all you discover. thanks for the previous book list too, I will use it for ideas.

Jennifer Hoots said...

Does children's literature count? What about blogs? Very interesting study. Sad about the library books. We love our library here in Carmel. I feel very spoiled to have it.
Jenn
www.homeschoolblogger.com/jenn4him