"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

CON II

As in Chronicles of Narnia, second installment: Prince Caspian.

Son dutifully completed his reading of the book just in time for the mid-afternoon matinée on opening day. The moment we'd awaited had finally arrived!

We loved the movie because it's Narnia and C.S. Lewis. We (I, I, I!!!) did not like the typical, ever-present...why do they have to do that?...nasty "Disney" kiss. They had to ruin a perfectly good movie.

I said--out loud (because that's what I do!), "Well, C.S. Lewis just turned over in his grave!" I got a couple of nods of agreement with that one.

Truly though, the movie was very good. I don't think the people making it have any idea, really, what they are dealing with in the area of spiritual and Biblical allegory. If they did, I'm sure it wouldn't be there at all. But, we so enjoyed the struggle of the "children" as they sought to fight a battle "on their own". "In their own power" and "in their own way." And, of course, the consequences. C.S. Lewis was a brilliant man and I have no doubt, God used and will continue to greatly use his offerings.

You'll enjoy the movie! Oh, and the music was wonderful! Looking forward to getting my hands on more of that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the review. And any movie inspired by a book has the same problem, even if it isn't the spiritual aspects that they are leaving out. The director's vision and thoughts as to what needs to be left out and what should be expanded upon are often very different from my own.

I watched Chronicles of Narnia determined to just let it be its own work without continually comparing it to the book, and ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Melissa said...

AGREE! We too went on opening day, and while I think it was a great movie, it was so unlike the book I hardly recognized it! And I personally think the rating should have been PG-13. I don't know why they feel they have to change so much. CS Lewis' books are so outstanding, there shouldn't be that much they need to change!

Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

EEEEMommy said...

We have yet to see it. My girls finally saw the first one on Mother's Day. From what I've heard about this one, I don't think it's appropriate for them yet. But ds is anxious to see it! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I've heard a lot of people were extremely disappointed.