"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

IEW: Whooohoo!

This year's convention brought a couple of surprises my way. One of which, though wasn't new to me, was certainly an unexpected pleasure: The Institute for Excellence in Writing.
I've heard of this program for years and I've read several people rant and rave about how good it is. I even stopped at their booth a couple of years ago. I confess that at the time, I didn't understand a word of it. Nor have I been able to make heads or tales of their catalog/newsletter which I've been receiving since then.

It wasn't until a friend took me aside and explained it and introduced me to a gal in the booth, that I was able to hear what the concept was that I was not getting. The concept that would allow me to understand the whole program.

It was really very simple, but my own preconceived ideas and thoughts about writing were keeping me from seeing it. I was getting in my own way...again! I hate that when it happens!

I began watching the DVD teaching series the other day and was having quite a few "aahhh" moments. My son is most assuredly a reluctant writer...unless. Unless he is excited to write something down. He has very good penmanship and he's a good speller. What I hadn't considered was how difficult it is for young children to complete a thought transferable to paper. That it actually uses several skills rather than just "doing" it, as I would.

Andrew Pudewa, the speaker on the DVD's, also challenged my thinking on the importance of penmanship as opposed to typing. Though we have done a little typing program, I've been resistant to the idea of replacing handwriting with it, because of my stubborn leanings regarding the passing of penmanship into oblivion and the idea that if he learns to type, he'll never have good penmanship. Reality check: one doesn't have much to do with the other.

I think we are going to get a lot of help from this program. He described my son to a tee, so I know that son's straight on, though I haven't known how to help him.

I'm encouraged. Though the initial outlay was steep, I see that this program is for the long haul. I'll even benefit from it. Yeah! So, I believe it will be worth it. I have to add that when I was at the convention and in their booth, there were a lot of happy people stopping by to say how happy they were with the program! That was encouraging. I'm sure I'll have more to say on this in the near future.

3 comments:

Daisy said...

I'm looking forward to your further review. I keep looking at IEW but can't seem to make the jump. ;-) The orderliness of IEW appeals to that Type A in me. I love to write and it seemed to come rather naturally so I almost hate to "over-teach" it. Then again, I did go to a private school with an English teacher who had a very large physical presence, was from the Ukraine, spoke 7 languages, and who scared me half to death....hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa

We are thoroughly enjoying IEW too. The thing I love about it is that we integrate it into every other writing assignment the kids have. We don't have writing lessons everyday.

I love the fact that he teaches grammar as they write - making a purpose for it rather than just more rules and diagrammes. Actually this is just one reason I love it - I could keep on going but I won't!

Belinda

EEEEMommy said...

I attended a workshop last year and was very impressed, but our grammar (Rod & Staff) is supposed to be solid on writing instruction itself, so I haven't wanted to spend the big bucks on IEW if I don't really need it. I keep going back and forth. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out whether I'm willing to shell out the dough for Trivium Pursuit's recommended latin program Artes Latinae. Big bucks, big bucks, no wammees.