"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Monday, May 12, 2008

The Pursuit of Coverage

Having a daughter changes everything. I'd always considered myself a modest person. I've always been shocked and appalled with the amount of flesh that is in our faces constantly. No change there. But this daughter thing really bumps it up a notch.

Last week I put a one-piece swimsuit on my 4yo--one that was handed down. Too high at the hips. Too low in the front. She immediately pointed out to me how her "chest" was just barely covered. I was happy to know she was thinking properly.

She was eager to go look for swimsuits today. I've given it a lot of prayerful consideration over the last 2-3 years and have my limits. Limits, I might add, that are getting less tolerant. I used to think a one-piece was sufficient. I no longer feel that is enough. Couple that with growing older and the wisdom cellulite, plus bulges here and there I've gained and covering myself as also become priority.

I looked at a bunch of online places this week. All the standards and few surprises. There was this...
...from this company, which frankly scared me more than most swimsuits. It's a great alternative, but I'm not quite "there" yet. I realized that swim shorts and a shirt were more up my alley. Interestingly enough, I read a blog post not too long ago about a mom dressing her daughter like this and I (for a split second...or maybe an hour) thought she was nuts. I was so wrong. My apologies.

I was a bit worried that my daughter would see all the flowery, bright colored suits and have a difficult time with shorts and a surf tee, but she didn't. She actually preferred them and said she would be more comfortable. Hallelujah. I bought myself a pair of knee length swim shorts and I'll be much more comfortable too! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,

I love the Landsend shorts! Do they only do them for girls? Do they do ladies sizes? I am no where near fitting into a "girls" size, so where should I look?

Beth

Melissa said...

I'm right there with you! My 11 yo daughter is right on the verge of needing the Jrs. sizes and I'm so not looking forward to that. As it is, I have to look high and low for acceptable clothes.

Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Daisy said...

LOL. I understand. I used to feel the same way. Then I realized that my trying to force my super tall daughter into a normal bathing suit against her comfort zone was INSANE. Why in the world would I, for the sake of "peer pressure" try to make her wear something LESS modest then what she was comfortable with? Was I nuts? By the way, those Land's End swim shorts are adorable.

Dana said...

I've looked at those same suits before. The only problem I have with them is the PRICE!

Blessings--
Dana

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog. I often do not comment b/c it takes so long for my computer to load... yes, I am still on dial up.

I have two daughters and completely understand the modest thing....

thanks for sharing.

blessings
teena
www.homeschoolblogger.com/teena6