"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Lost and Found

He asked me why I kept checking on our 4yo. After all, she was with about 6 other kids playing away. My eyes, however, were on the swollen creek--the fast-flowing swollen creek. So I continued to check on her.

I answered his question with my mother's brain: "There are so many kids, they wouldn't know if she wasn't with them. I just want to see that she is."

Then she wasn't.

And they didn't know where she was.

Nobody knew.

The overwhelming panic and horror came on like a strong wind. I ran for the creek and looked it up and down, screaming her name. All the adults and children started looking for her. Back and forth I ran always with my eyes searching for her white tee and her smiling face. Always looking in the water; out of the water; in the water. No sign of her.

Five minutes. Ten minutes. Fifteen minutes.

I was shaking so bad I could hardly stand and as much as I felt myself about to collapse in a pile, I ran with that much more frantic fear.

Then I heard the voice of an adult saying they had her. I broke out in the fastest run of my life. There was another mom...a mom I didn't know, holding my baby and running toward me with the biggest smile on her face. Then I had my baby in my arms. Tears streaming down both our faces. "Mommy! I couldn't find you!"

"I know, baby. I couldn't find you either!" She was about 6-8 houses away.

The mom who found her gave me the biggest hug. "I have five kids. I know," she said. I'm so grateful for that mom who's name I didn't even get!

I don't know what the other parents were thinking during the searching, but I know what I was thinking. And now I'm nothing but grateful to God for His mercies and His loving hands upon us...and for my Mother's Day gift...

My children in my arms.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Scary, but so beautiful. I'm so glad she is safe. Our children are a gift. Happy Mother's Day!

Dana said...

Praise the Lord!

I couldn't find Brandie for about 10 minutes at a busy park about two weeks ago. I know the feeling.

Blessings--
Dana

Daisy said...

There is no worse a feeling then having a child get lost! I'm so glad everything worked out!

Anonymous said...

Dear Melissa,
It's the most sickening feeling in the world isn't it?! Praise God for His mercies! It also, at least for me, gives me MUCH compassion for mothers who are not so fortunate to find their lost ones. I think too about the verse in the Bible that speaks of how much heaven rejoices when ONE who is lost, is found. Found for all eternity.
Have a blessed Mother's Day. Beth

Anonymous said...

Oh Melissa - how scary! I have been there myself and it truly is agonizing to go through and so joyful when they are found. We just finished reading Swiss Family Robinson and your story reminded me of a part in the book I knew you would appreciate:

"The tempest swept on its way, and the sky began to clear as suddenly as
it had been overcast; yet the stormy waves continued for a long time to
threaten our frail bark with destruction, in spite of its buoyancy and
steadiness.

Yet I never lost hope for ourselves--all my fears were for Fritz; in
fact I gave him up for lost, and my whole agonized heart arose in
prayer for strength to say, `Thy will be done!'

At last we rounded the point, and once more entering Safety Bay,
quickly drew near the little harbour.

What was our surprise--our overwhelming delight when there we saw the
mother with Fritz, as well as her little boy, on their knees in prayer
so earnest for our deliverance, that our approach was unperceived,
until with cries of joy we attracted their notice.

Then indeed ensued a happy meeting, and we gave thanks together for the
mercy which had spared our lives."

Melissa said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you had to go through that!! I totally understand, it is one of a mother's greatest fears. It makes me sick for you thinking about it. Praise the Lord she was found!

Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Kate said...

Oh what a horrible feeling that must have been for you! I am so sorry you and your daughter had to experience that. I Praise the Lord that everything turned out the way it did!