"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Beginning Nature Books

We have really been enjoying Jim Arnosky's nature books. He was recommended to us by someone in blogland and though I'd never heard of him, I'm all about a good recommendation!

The illustrations are incredible and the information is just right for us want-to-be learners! We have particularly enjoyed the Crinkleroot books like "I Was Born in a Tree and Raised By Bees". (Daughter really liked how he taught us how to grow our own popcorn!) You can see a sample from one of his books here. (Be sure to click on the word "fish".) Even the so-called toddler level books are wonderfully informative. There are many, many titles available at the library. I know because I tried to check them all out at once and got a little overwhelmed! Here is a complete list of his books. Here are a few of the Crinkleroot books. AND he has coloring pages galore!

Apparently there was a tv show? Not having tv, this was new info for me, but maybe some of you have seen it. Regardless, these books are perfect for our newly discovered Charlotte Mason leanings.

Anyway, just wanted to pass on the recommendation for a great author. You won't be able to help liking these books as much as we do!

4 comments:

Daisy said...

We have quite a few Arnosky books but I love that you found a complete list! I tagged it in del.ici.ous.

Tracy said...

Melissa--We love Crinkleroot books down here! Anytime we see "Aronsky" as the author, we grab it! I didn't have a clue about the coloring pages-those are sure to be a hit. Thank you for your blog. I am always sure to find something that applies to our little home as well. I hope all is well up your way. Maybe we will see some real snow soon?
God Bless! Tracy

Anonymous said...

We are huge Arnosky fans here too! I love his nature sketching series (one for each season) and all of his kids titles that we have read thus far. Our favorite kids title so far has been 'The Brook Book'. I was so excited to discover what so many of the creatures living in a creek we have camped by since I was a kid were. Turns out that most of them were fly larvae! Who knew? We will definitely be checking into the Crinkleroot books. We are heading in a CM direction too this year - I love it! ( :

Blessing,
Mandi

EEEEMommy said...

Arnosky is one of my favorite's too.