"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Friday, January 02, 2009

Do Art (Not Crafts)

I've always had a "bent" in favor of art & music, though that is not synonymous with "talent". It has never been a secret to me that teaching art and music increases a child's abilities in many areas. Numerous studies have proven it, despite the decline of such subjects in the public schools--or maybe "in spite" of them. Then there is just the beauty aspect, which in itself has value. It is fine, it is fun, it just makes sense when there's time.

Ah! The time crutch. I've fought that battle for years. Now I think I'm finally winning it with our Charlotte Mason style learning. Short lessons have made all the difference, but truly putting a focus on the love of learning and not pushing canned curriculums and workbooks, we've been able to begin truly learning about things we love (along with math! :)).

Here are a few of the fabulous FREE resources that other moms have shared. They are so good, so easy to follow, and so important, that you don't want to miss out on them!

Jenny @ Jenny Wren's Nest just re-posted her great 36 week artist study she's calling "Waiting To Be Discovered".

Then there is Sherri who shares her lesson plans for using Mona Brookes' book, "Drawing With Children".

Barb @ Harmony Art Mom also shares her version of using "Drawing With Children" in more of a nature journal style. She has a ton of great art, music and nature lessons available on her site. Be sure to check it out before you buy anything!

I'm really realizing how important it is to have quality art supplies available all the time. If you are out of watercolor paper, it's kind of hard for the kids to make you a beautiful water color painting of that bird they just saw (or their doll having a tea party!). Though that is truly a whole other subject, I recommend the following always be on hand. This is not in any way a comprehensive list!

Firmly planted in their place:
Scissors
Rulers
Hole punch
Stapler
Plastic lids for mixing paint colors
Place to create!
Art portfolio for each child
Art books for inspiration. (We love our art calendar!)

Things that come & go & require replenishing:
Good quality colored pencils & sharpener (preferably a manual one that won't eat up your investment!)
Water color pencils (these are SO fun!)
Pastels
Quality (& numerous!) paint brushes of varying sizes.
Real drawing pencils & an art eraser Water colors
Primary colors of paint
Quality colored markers in various widths
Quality colored paper/construction paper
Colored chalks
Water color paper (this was hard for me because it's not cheap, but other paper doesn't receive water color paint well. Stock up when it's on sale. )
Other types of art paper/Sketchbooks
glue (don't use glue sticks if you can help it! They are easy, but dry out and paper peel apart!)

Let me just add that when my kids have been left to their own devices totally, with no direction, for long periods of time (months!) they argue, fuss and accomplish very little. There is little peace and joy. All this CM stuff has had a huge impact on that aspect of our lives. Right now my kids, with a friend, are painting beautiful pictures while listening to "Your Story Hour" online! Smiles all around!

I'll also say that I absolutely despise "crafts". I agree with Charlotte Mason that handicrafts need to be beautiful and useful. While I have supplied a certain amount of googly eyes, pipe cleaners, craft foam, etc., I leave their use totally up to the little 'uns and when they're gone, they will probably not return.

10 comments:

Daisy said...

Looks like some great links.

We like fine art, nature sketching, handicrafts, crafts, playdough. Okay, we like it all. LOL.

You'd be jealous. I was able to pick up over 500 acid free 10x13art prints at the library for less than $10 about 2 years ago. So I just pick a few, hang them up, & we do picture study with them.

Unknown said...

Sniff, sniff, no googly eyes and sequins? Horrors! I think I love them as much as my daughter. Never got over the Elmer's glue and glitter. But to each his own. :-)

I can't picture CM making a horse from corks, but then again, I call myself a LOOSELY CM educator. LOL.

We're using Drawing with Children this year too. So far so good. Good post! I'd seen those art lessons before; this new format is wonderful -- much more attractive and user friendly.

Susan said...

What is the art calendar you mentioned?

WE love crafts at our house. I've done a lot with the kids over the years and while I struggle with what to do with the junk that gets made I do think there are benefits to it. One being that we are doing something together, two that they are learning the mechanics of cutting and pasting and other things, three developing their own sense of style. But I admit it is best with the little kids. Once they develop maturity and physical development they are so capable of learning great handiwork skills. My daughter who is extremely creative creates all manner of things using what we have around the house, lots of recycled items. I don't think art is just limited to drawing. Two of my girls are establishing great sewing and crocheting skills. The Klutz books at the best for teaching these skills and there are so many available. I just love them. My oldest makes cards and gift tags. She takes apart things and turns them into other things. I am pleased that they are getting into the stage where their creations are more useful. My two oldest crocheted wash clothes for me for Christmas. SO fun. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Great post! Thanks for including it in the carnival. I'm beginning Drawing with Children this week and can't wait to check out the links you gave.

:o)

Anonymous said...

Interesting post! My two both love to draw - we try to schedule journal time every day (but often only manage once a week!!). But we haven't tried any new art techniques for a while - time to drag out some books!

Barb said...

I am with you...art not crafts. I think it is because I have always had boys that our school projects have been more art oriented and not crafty "cut and paste" stuff.

We do love our Perler beads though and my daughter and I love our scrapbook supplies. But the best pages we make include some artistic flair that we have developed through a study of great art.

Thanks for the great post.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom
PS Thanks for your kind words about me and my blog too!

Anonymous said...

Well, those that read my blog know that we LOVE crafts around our house, HA! (and my link for the carnival on winter unit study you'll see craft ideas.) But, I still love your post you have shared here. I really enjoy doing BOTH, I guess because my kids enjoy both. My girls are 6yrs and 5yrs and they LOVE the painting snowmen with marshmellow type ideas. But we also keep nature journals and draw birds and things we see outside. So, I guess for us a little of both is good. I probably wouldn't do as many of the crafty ideas if my girls didn't love it so, but anyway. THanks for sharing, I'm going to be checking out your links too! :)

Candace

Anonymous said...

Very interesting - I like it! I am not too fond of crafts myself, because, well, I don't know what to do with them once their made! Neither do my kids, for that matter! I love the painting idea and creating a portfolio. Now we just need the funds to buy quality art supplies. That's where birthdays and Christmas come in handy. ;)
Thank you for the free resources. Something I really need.

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Great post. I'm trying to be sure to keep a good supply of things, like your list, but I'm still trying to get it all organized so that it's all easy to get to, even for my daughter. I'll have to check out the links, too. :-)

Anonymous said...

I completely agree on the art not crafts concept. If I never see craft foam again I'll be very happy, LOL!
Good links.