"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

On The Twelfth Day of Christmas

Today is the Twelfth Day of Christmas. That may be rather upsetting and disconcerting to many of you who happen to think that the Twelve Days of Christmas are prior to Christmas. They are not. They are the twelve days following Christmas and they end on the Epiphany.

Now, traditionally, the Epiphany is the date that is celebrated as the day the three Wise Men arrived to meet their newborn king: Jesus. We know from scripture that though it makes a great song, story and fun way to incorporate three Wise Men in our Christmas activities, it's not true. And the song? Let's just say I've been over the "Lords a'Leaping" for awhile now (though I do really like the Muppets/John Denver version!)

But that's not the reason for this post. The reason for this post is because it's January 6th and that's my birthday! It's a day in which this child of the King is treated like a Queen (or should be! LOL).

I'm much more introspective on my birthday than I should be. Of this I am most certain! I dwell on memories and mushy dreams. I dream of the last treat I will "ever eat again" for the "whole year" because I couldn't make that "promise" on the New Year because, hay!, I was going to have a birthday the next week. I envision the lies I'll have to tell my children when they ask my age. Son truly believes I'm 29...bless his heart. Father, forgive me for this wretched lie! But then again, I "feel" 29. Okay. Not so much! Truly I'm beginning to feel every single one of my 44 years. They hang on me in the form of lose skin, poor eyesight, gray hair, and the ole bad back!

Well, I've earned every single crease and roll! I've diligently scrubbed my hands to dryness in the care and feeding of my family and I've worn every ponytail as a tribute to the time I don't have but take to fix my daughter's hair.

Yes sireee. So. Today is my birthday and I really just miss my mom, because, let's face it, birthdays really are about moms! The ones who love us even though we are wretched sinners in need of a good beating. The moms who never, ever, ever forget it's our birthday...unless they're dead (which mine happens to be--did I mention I really miss my mom?). The moms who tell us over and over every single second of the day we were born and they smile and they sigh and they look at us growing older and nothing else matters but that it's our birthday.

Wow! Was she ever young! At yet she was was guess how much?
29 in this picture! For real. Really!


And indeed she DID gift me the love of books!!

So that's what I'm thinking about today and for the last few days. It doesn't help that my mom died just ten days after my birthday. The last thing she did was give me my birthday gift.

Today's my birthday and I'm thankful to be alive and with the ones I love most. I'm so thankful that God is greater than my wrinkles and bad back. I'm ever, ever so thankful that He brought me into this world to one day be wife and mother to my blessings. I promise, I'm not gonna cry...much!

Honestly, today is just another day, except that it is the Twelfth Day of Christmas! (for all you bloggers that drove me totally nuts with your Twelve Days BEFORE Christmas junk! heehee!).

I will rejoice and be glad in it! :)

10 comments:

Kathy said...

Happy, happy birthday to you!
Kathy @ www.restorationplace.typepad.com

JustAnotherBlogger said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you're not relegated to making your own cake;)

EEEEMommy said...

Happy happy happy birthday, my dear friend! I would tell you not to cry too much, but that would be absolutely hypocritical of me. So instead I'll sing you my favorite birthday song, "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to, cry if I want to..."
I'm praying for you. I hope you get spoiled rotten and treated like the queen that you are! Are you taking on Disney? Have a fabulous day!

Susan said...

Happy Birthday! And you do not look like you are 44. My goodness. Not at all.

Kayluray said...

Happy Birthday! What a beautiful tribute to your mom. I know just what you mean when the children's brithdays come up. I'm one who goes over every last detail of their births. Those precious fast moments when I got my first look.

Tracy said...

I remembered, you said the 6th! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Melissa! Hope your day was one to remember. I read somewhere once that children should be taught to do something special on their birthday for their...mother! I thought that was precious. Birthdays are very special days for mothers. I know your mom would have been deeply touched by your treasured thoughts about her today.

Take care,

Beth
(from Tucson)

Anonymous said...

Ah, I missed your birthday by a day. I hope it was memorable. And thanks for sharing the memories you already have. What a special tribute to your mother!

Daisy said...

What a sweet post! I hope you had a wonderful birthday.

Stacey said...

Happy birthday! we have 2 more things in common...my bday is St. Nicholas day - Dec. 6...we both have Christmasy birthdays...and I too, miss my mom terribly on my birthday and the whole Christmas season - she died 10 days before Christmas 5 years ago. Praying for your heart from a heart that knows...