"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Everybody Doesn't Know

Not everybody knows that there are whole movies on YouTube! I know this because I didn't know it until the other day.

Karen Andreola's book "A Charotte Mason Companion" recommended a certain movie--Shakespeare's "A Midsummer's Night Dream" (1935 with James Cagney & a very young Micky Rooney!)--as a way to gently draw your family into Shakespeare. Well, the library didn't have it so I started to look online. Lo and behold! There it is on YouTube. Now, it's in a ton of parts, but if you click on high quality and full screen, you get a pretty good viewing for free! (Note: Blockbuster.com has it too!)

I was so surprised to find it there, that I thought I'd look up an old movie that was a favorite from my teen years. It's a movie that has never been released on VHS or DVD--I know because every couple of years I think of it and try to find it. The movie is "Margie" starring Jeanne Crane. It's an old musical that has some favorite diddies: "A Cup of Coffee, A Sandwich, & You!" and "April Showers"...

April Showers

Life is not a highway strewn with flowers,
Still it holds a goodly share of bliss,
When the sun gives way to April showers,
Here is the point you should never miss.

Though April showers may come your way,
They bring the flowers that bloom in May.
So if it's raining,
have no regrets,
Because it isn't raining rain, you know,
It's raining violets.

And where you see clouds upon the hills,
You soon will see crowds of daffodils,
So keep on looking for a blue bird,
And list'ning for his song,
Whenever April showers come along.

And what do you know?! There it was. I enjoyed watching it and singing along. It was interesting watching the story unfold because I hadn't recalled much about it other than the music. It's about a high school girl who falls in love with her teacher and he with her. Spoiler alert: They eventually married, though there was NOTHING sordid about it. It was interesting and entertaining!

So when you can't find a movie, don't forget to check YouTube!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you like a Midsummer Night's Dream? Did your family like it?

Melissa said...

We've only watched about 1/3 of it so far. 5yo did not watch, but 9yo thought it was funny. Let's face it! Mickey Rooney & James Cagney are fun actors! Son was curious about the whole spell casting business...1 of the reasons we have not done Shakespeare so far!