"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Monday, August 11, 2008

Remember the Dictaphone?

I've had this thought in the back of my mind for some time. Actually a memory, I kept thinking about my father's dictaphone. Remember those hand held voice recorders with the little tapes? Daddy's is long gone, but I haven't been able to shake the feeling that I was missing out on an opportunity, so I went shopping.

It wasn't hard to find a small, inexpensive ($25@Target) digital recording device. As I brought it home, I mentally listed all the possibilities for it; justifying my purchase. I held it for a few days (in deep contemplation), then handed it over to my nine year old son. Oh BOY!

Can I just tell you how much excitement there has been around here because of that recorder! To say he loves it, would be putting it mildly. He's having an absolute blast with it.

Right off the bat he recorded his first story written for IEW. He was proud! So proud! Next, he secretly recorded everyone in the house. This, of course, precipitated the rule that no one may be recorded without their knowledge.

He has recorded himself sleeping--all ten hours worth. He recorded how to make oatmeal for breakfast. He made up his own version of Jonathan Park. He became a cub reporter and began interviewing his sister. The two of them made up some great tales.

He, and his visiting partners in crime, recorded themselves screaming at the top of their lungs. Oh yes indeed. He recorded himself reading his history assignment. AND he recorded music he was listening to on the ipod. Weird :) I've caught him recording various appliances and basically any sound he is capable of recording. I'm not sure if he's been in the bathroom yet. Probably has. Boy!

Did I mention that he recorded himself reading his story he wrote for IEW? That was the whole point. Love that.

Now...I'm a bit bummed that I didn't consider computer compatibility with this thing. I imagine that would require a lot more money. But now that I know the possibilities, I'll be thinking about where to go with this "hobby" next!

3 comments:

Renae said...

What a great idea! I think my son would enjoy that immensely. I've also thought it would be nice to record my thoughts while working. I think of 35 things to write about while scrubbing floors, but they don't usually last past the mopping.

EEEEMommy said...

Sounds like a fun time! Ethan figured out how to add sound to the digital pictures with our old camera. He and the girls have been having fun with that!

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

I had one of those in college - my history teacher was fantastic and I took 13-14 pages of notes each class. I could not manage that for long, so enter the micro recorder. In later years, I used it when I drove an hour to and from work for "notes to self." It was a lot of fun taking that little thing with me. I'm sure my kids would love it, but it doesn't work any more. Might have to put it on the wish list. Could be fun. Thanks for the idea! :D