"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Monday, August 25, 2008

Review: "Hitty: Her First Hundred Years"

I had absolutely no idea what "Hitty: Her First Hundred Years" was about when I took it off my shelf to read. I had purchased it by author, Rachel Field, per the recommendation of Jan Bloom's book, "Who Should We Then Read". By author, is how I buy most of my "old" books.

I had purchased this book at a library book sale. It is a hard back and like brand new. From the markings, I can tell the library bought it in January of 2001. I know I bought it last year, so it sat on their shelf for seven years. It truly looks as if it were never touched. The amazing, and yet sad, thing about that is that it is a really, good book! One that I wish I'd known of when I was a young girl.

Hitty is a very, real doll, discovered by author Rachel Field, in an antique shop in New York City (1927). The story (a Newbery winner) is Hitty writing her memoirs of her hundred years. She is now on display in a library museum! You can see more pictures, like those above, of her here. At only 6 1/2 inches tall, she saw much! It is amazing to see history unfold around her as she experiences everything from riding the high seas on a whaling ship, to being lost in a hay loft for many years! She rides the Mississippi on a steamboat and witnesses the effects of the Civil War.

There are a few elements of faith in the book as Hitty once belongs to a God fearing little girl, and even the daughter of missionaries. The children, and adults, she encounters are far from perfect, which lends this book to great discussion and character lessons. Hitty has great, even exciting, adventures, that will keep children interested. It is really well-written. Obviously not watered down language of the current era.

I'm always thrilled to find a children's book of such high caliber. I even enjoy reading them just for myself. After all, so much written for adults is garbage! If you are looking for a great book to share with your kids, try "Hitty". There is no reason a boy wouldn't also enjoy it!

3 comments:

EEEEMommy said...

This one is sitting on my shelf too, but we haven't gotten to it yet. I bought it per the recommendation of another homeschool mom in VA. It's good to read your stamp of approval too. I didn't know that Hitty was a real doll. Very cool! Neat pictures!
I'll have to move it towards the top of the read aloud list. ;)

Netherfieldmom said...

Hitty has been our standard girl's birthday gift for several years. We absolutely love it. So glad you found it--don't forget to try to find Little Lord Fauntleroy--terrific! Hope you've tried Little Pilgrim's Progress, too.

Kathy said...

My daughter read this recently and was sad when it ended. So many good books to discover!
Kathy @ www.restorationplace.typepad.com