"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

So Much To Tell: Not Such A Surprise!

"Literature.": The second thing that son wrote down on his "positive reinforcement" list his first day of lessons (after proclaiming his loathing of school).

Son loves literature! It's no surprise, really. My children just love good books. The fact that he thinks he knows this story so well, since he's listened to the dramatization a hundred times! (It's really good, too!) This has not dampened his enthusiasm to hear it read aloud. He's only sad that I'm keeping to a slower pace so that we can notebook. Daughter is truly enthralled as well. Me too! It's been years since I read the story and I have my old copy with beautiful pictures to inspire.

I found a neat resource at CurrClick to go along with the book. There are some errors in the e-book, but it's still a great resource. Son has actually enjoyed recording his thoughts on our reading, as well as being introduced to ideas like compare and contrast, and we're only in the second week!

I look forward to our time with this treasured book.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading this book, too. I found a sweet book called Inside the Secret Garden at a dollar store. It has crafts and recipes to go along with the story. It even has a biography and timeline of the author.

Reading all the classics I missed as a kid is my favorite part of homeschooling. ;)

Netherfieldmom said...

We listened to an audio version of Little Lord Fauntleroy--it is a precious story, with a huge spiritual message! Try to find one if you can--ours had a British woman reading it and she even did a great job "voicing" a little boy. It was TERRIF!

EEEEMommy said...

That's one of my all time favorites! I've hesitated to do it as a read-aloud though as I remember so well the feeling of suspense I had as I read it. It was the first time reading a book had that effect on me. I'd kinda like my kids to experience that themselves. So we've chosen others off the never ending list of great literature that begs to be read aloud. :)