"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Saturday, August 09, 2008

So Much To Tell: Being Four

Our four year old was quite eager to begin school. I was happy to see her enthusiasm and have enjoyed seeing her reactions all week.

Some of the highlights include her love of memorizing scripture. She asks for MORE! She also likes our hymn and poem time.

She is also thoroughly enjoying our reading aloud of "The Secret Garden", by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

She has begun her Spell to Write and Read and is beginning to write the phonograms. I will need to keep coming up with new ways for her to practice because she gets bored with the repetition. The pre-printed sheets I've used, she doesn't like. She likes her wipe-off book with the colored markers, but gets tired of it. Time to get creative.

I've started her in RightStart A, which she also likes and is doing quite well with. Who wouldn't! It's a great series.

I'm happy that most of these things just take a few brief minutes. I'd forgotten how nice that was! She moves from one thing to the next very quickly.

Most of all, she is enjoying the art time with her brother, and her piano lessons. We are using Artistic Pursuits which is so fun! This week alone they have used paint, chalk and modeling clay.

I'm using the Bastien Piano Party (available from your local retail music store) series for her piano time and she loves it--wants to play all the time!

I've started her with the Noah Kindergarten lessons (though she's still a bit young for it) for Bible and Literature. The lessons are so short, I'm finding it hard to adjust to the slower pace and the spreading it over a week business. I'm also tweaking because who can help but, at this stage in the game! I'm mainly using them for more foundation development.

I'm doing a good job thoroughly wearing her out! She had to lay down for a few minutes one morning because she could hardly hold her head up. She hasn't napped regularly for about a year and probably should! Her little brain is very busy.

No comments: