"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Friday, August 08, 2008

So Much To Tell: Surprises!

With every new day, comes a surprise or two! My most pleasant surprise has been son's interest in our writing lessons from Institute for Excellence in Writing.

On Monday, I set up the video for him on my laptop at the dining room table. I made a point of removing myself from the temptation to let him watch it on TV like it was a show. Next I handed him a PEN (recommended) instead of a pencil. He was curious. He fussed a bit at first, but by the time he finished the 40 minutes, he was sold!

My totally reluctant writer may be a thing of the past! He has written his assignment for 30 minutes each day without complaint. He completed his great "work" and proudly presented it to me today.

Part of my "master plan" to get him writing was the purchase of a portable recording devise. I presented him with it today after a full day of lessons with no whining. One of the first things he did was record himself reading his story! That would be me jumping up and down and woohooing in the corner! :) He then set off to record his own version of the Jonathan Park stories (after I told him about the newest volume being released).

In case you haven't heard Andrew Pudewa, or purchased the IEW program, YOU ARE MISSING OUT! It is beyond good and Andrew is an incredibly smart man and gifted speaker/teacher.

No comments: