"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Updating Our Bible Time

I've put myself through the ringer about our Bible time. The first week of lessons, it became clear something had to change. To say I was dissatisfied about covers it. I love our "Judah Bible Curriculum", specifically the scope and sequence. However, what we have done the past two years (routinely) was not coming together with daughter now in the mix.

Some things have been greatly on my heart as of late: having son develop his own time of study, devotion and prayer, leading towards his own quiet times and his growing in his relationship with the Lord, and continuing to teach more directly character and habit. I've also not felt right about having separate Bible times for the kids. As I debated possibly replacing what we did last year with something else, a friend spoke wise words which set me free: "Don't be a slave to anything! Especially curriculum." Amen, Sister!

So, I determined that my newly directed focus (hopefully from the Lord!) would indeed provide son, and daughter, with the things on my heart. Here is our revised plan:

Monday
Read: "Child's Story Bible"--absolutely fabulous, by the way!
Narrate: daughter first/then son
Daughter: Coloring page
Discuss: story (background)
Read: "Our Young Folk's Josephus: (for historic context--here, or 1st thing Tuesday.)

Tuesday
Read: Bible passage
Narrate
Daughter: Coloring page (cont'.)
Write: Memory verse (to card)
Daughter: Trace/copy memory verse
List: Key words from passage

Wednesday
Review: Passage & history
Discuss: Character of Christ, as it relates to passage. (Biblical Principle/Theme for year)
Action: Pray memory verse (or passage)
Write: Prayer (Prayer Journal)

Thursday
Review: Books of the Bible & Habit ("Laying Down Rails") goals (review/accountability)
Habit: Focus on selected habit/Set goals
Learn: Quite Time/Bible Study (Choose one method--or aspect of method--to apply to passage.)

Friday
Overflow day. We do limit our time per day, for the sake of all so don't always get everything done!

1 comment:

EEEEMommy said...

Adding kids always means tweaking. I think it's important to have Bible time together! Well done figuring out how to accomplish that!