"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Art So Big and Grand

Of all the places that I've visited in Washington, D.C., my favorite by far is the National Gallery of Art. In truth, I probably would not have even given an art museum a second thought if it weren't for what I've learned while homeschooling. I probably wouldn't have given THIS museum a second thought if it weren't for THIS calendar that we use for THIS.


I've mentioned several times how much we've enjoyed our art calendar with a new masterpiece to review each day, but walking into the NGA and seeing my children run to a painting they know and pronounce it their favorite from the calendar, brought tears to my eyes--literally. I believe that my children were, in fact, the youngest of the visitors to this particular museum on the day we were there. I don't recall seeing ANY other kids. What a shame! I could be wrong, but usually children stand out in a place like that.

My Impressions of Real Art
Let me just say how truly amazed I was at the size of the paintings! I know I've been to museums before, but it never struck me how BIG most of the paintings are! Let's face it...what we are used to seeing is limited to the size we can print out on our computer, see in a book, or even on a 5x5 calendar! They were awe-inspiring in their grandeur.



I won't bother you with my less than educated thoughts on color or brush strokes, eras or anything else. I just share with you what I know. Man! They were Big!

This particular collection seemed surreal. SO many well-known paintings by the most famous of artists--all in one place. Granted, it was one really HUGE place, but one place none the less. We turned from one masterpiece to the next...with our mouths hanging open.



The Highlights
As you can imagine, there were so many fabulous things to comment on but three come to mind off the bat.

In my bedroom growing up, was a Degas ballerina print. My mother painted the frame the night before I was born. I took that same picture and after 38 years, repainted the frame for my daughter the week before she was born. It's still hanging in her room, in all its faded glory.



When I first set my eyes on another of the Degas ballet paintings hanging there on that gallery wall...I cried. What my mother would have given to see something like that in her lifetime! I felt her with me at that moment and remembered all the ballet lessons she hauled me off to, and the ballets she hauled me to--the ballet's on PBS that she would watch whenever possible. Putting my daughter through the same education! It was all there before me in one painting hanging on the wall before me. That was my favorite!



Another favorite was seeing the four paintings of Thomas Cole. I was first introduced to him by David Quine at our homeschool convention many years ago. I've never forgotten that lecture that he gave on art and music for the homeschool. It definitely gave me my start into adding art to our learning.



BUT...The DaVinci was DaVine! (I had to do it!) Confessession time. I MISSED the DaVinci the first time through. Didn't know it was there. Didn't look for it. Didn't see it. Then, while waiting in line somewhere, someone asked if we'd seen it and my gears were spinning trying to recall if I'd seen it or not, but pretty sure that I hadn't. Surely I hadn't, or I'd remember it? I walked away from that conversation and turned to my husband. I begged him to take me back. There was NO way I was coming home from being in THAT gallery and saying that I DIDN'T see the DaVinci--the ONLY DaVinci on the North American continent! So he did. Because that's what every loving husband does! And we saw it (and it's guard, for it was the only piece in the museum with it's own guard!) and we LOVED it (both sides of it!) and weoooo'd and awed over it...then we left. HeeHee. Now I can tell you in all honesty that I did INDEED see it and it was worth the extra trip!




The Art Stores

Well, I wouldn't be me if I didn't comment on the book stores at the art gallery. Think of the largest food court you've ever seen and imagine it filled with books! One store after another! The only thing they didn't have was poster prints of the masterpieces. I saw a couple of advertising posters, but not of anything historic in value.

It was really overwhelming to see all those art books and imagine how anyone would ever choose. I know I couldn't, and didn't. The children's book area, however, was a different matter. Not surprising, I bought a story book with all of the Degas paintings in it for my daughter. I also found a book I'd heard about, but been unable to find to see it called, "I Am An Artist". It is really neat!

There was one other thing that captured my attention. It was a nylon pack for taking along with you to sketch. It had a small sketch pad and individual loop/pockets for colored and drawing pencils, a strap, etc. They wanted a ridiculous amount of money for it! I love the idea, but we already have the contents, so now I have to figure out if I want to, or can, make something similar for carrying it all. The 'ole creative juices are flowing!

If I Had it To Do All Over Again
If I had it to do all over again, I would have planned to spend a lot more time there. I would have had our sketch books with us, with no other place to have to be. Just there. Soaking it all in! I would have taken my good friend Suzette with me, because she loves art probably more than me. There would have been no talking, just breathing. And thinking. Enjoying.

But that is for another time! This time, I had a fabulous first experience with my family. We ALL enjoyed it and learned from it. I was so proud of my babies. They behaved wonderfully and they enjoyed the whole experience. We're officially hooked on art!


3 comments:

Joni said...

Ahhh...Melissa...THIS is how I felt when visiting the National Gallery in London. I would stand at certain pieces almost literally in tears. And it was the place that I took all of our visitors.

My own children and I were just discussing it again yesterday and they mentioned that it was the museum in London that we visited most often. Guilty as charged!

I agree with your assessment of the sheer size of the pieces. Seurat's "Bathers" stunned me due to its size! I can also appreciate your desire to go back and just enjoy what you had seen again and again.

And then your comments about the store...let's just say, I can relate! When we were at the Louvre, there was a store specifically for children. I spent waaaaayyy too many Euros in there!

All this to say, I loved this post because it allowed to visit our own National Gallery through you, and because it reminded me of all of our unique opportunities from last year.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing! When I first entered an art museum I was engaged to be married. Touring the Seattle Art Museum gazing at Thomas Moran's immense paintings of Western American was amazing. Breath-taking. Gorgeous.

Yes, I'm still jealous. :)

EEEEMommy said...

Did you visit the modern side and see the tennis ball in the acquarium? I wonder if it's still there. THAT's ALL I remember from visiting the Art Museum when I was in High School. Maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to write the whole place off...