"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Organizing Computer Related Homeschool Materials

My oldest is now eight. I've known we were to homeschool since before he was born. That was when I began collecting homeschool materials. Then about five years ago, I got my own computer. THAT was when I began collecting links. About three and a half years ago, I went to my first book sale! Oh boy! The shelves are brimming with living books! About two and a half years ago, I discovered the Homeschoolblogger community. That was when I began collecting homeschool friends with ideas, wisdom, experience, and often freebies. I've collected a LOT!

My brain is a little coo-coo right now because I'm planning something really different in regards to our school time (more on that later) and it has occurred to me that I may need to better access all that material that I've saved up. There is a little bit of panic about whether or not I'll miss the golden gem because it's tucked away somewhere. So I'm processing my sources, and making lots of decisions about what to do with it all.

My links are fairly well sorted by folder in my favorites, but I haven't been through them all lately to check if they are even active. They really need a good purging. Spring cleaning?!! Oh! And have you heard about this new link resource?

I know there is much debate about whether or not to print out everything you find--pdf's, freebies, etc. I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that if I don't print it out, I won't use it. Out of sight, out of mind. I'm a binder girl, so most things that I have printed are sorted by subject in my binders. This really works for me. One of my favorite new finds is a free program called clipmarks. It allows me to be more selective about what I print from web pages. Saves on ink and confusion when wanting one small part of a full page.

As I attempt to steward all that the Lord has provided for us to learn with, I realize there is way more than I can ever use, but I should use what I can. This all comes down to organization for me. History things can not be in 47 different locations! As I've continued the process of putting together my new library room, I've separated sets of books, etc., to put resources together chronologically. The Dover coloring books are no longer all together in a box, but set on the shelf with the other books, by topic. The notebook binders, also, are set in place by topic.

My biggest frustration at the moment is audio. My son loves history and science audio programs. Actually, he loves ALL kinds of audio dramas. I've collected a blue-million of those and putting our hands on "the one", is often difficult. Today we were looking for one on Jim Beckworth. Can't find it. We have uploaded them all to our ipod, but they are not always named in a manner that is subject worthy. That issue needs major solving!

I'm seeing a plan take shape for all this and believe it will continue to make our schooling time easier and my planning time less cumbersome and time consuming. Wouldn't that be sweet?!!

I'd love to know what you all do to keep on top of all your materials. I'm sure I'm missing some fabulous idea that could revolutionize my organizing! Bring it on! Please! For those of you that aren't "collectors" by nature...bless your hearts! Pray for those of us who do--that it won't become an idol to us or simply drive us screaming into the night!

1 comment:

EEEEMommy said...

Well, I'm a collector, but at the moment all of my collections are a dis-organized mess and have been for quite some time. Sorry I can't help!

I am curious about the new plan you're thinking about implementing though!

I miss you!