"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Monday, April 07, 2008

Master Bedroom Round Up

Laura, over at Organized Junkie is "Rounding Up" the Master Bedroom this month. I love these round ups because it has helped me focus on a certain area and with an end in sight. It also has helped me by choosing, for me, which area to work on!

We have a large bedroom; more of a master suite. I've done little things over the three years we've lived here, but there is still much to do. There are three things, essentially, that I'll be working on. One--moving my computer and and homeschool work OUT of the room to an as-yet-undetermined location. Two--hang the blinds that have been leaning in the corner for six months. Three--do SOMETHING about a head board for our bed. I think I may finally have a plan for that.

My goals for the room are to make it a nest; a retreat--comfortable, inviting, and romantic for this 'ole married couple! It is the only place in the house where I read, so my personal books to read are here. Husband's magazines should be here for the same reason. My current computer nook will now be solely for Quiet time and reading.

Because we spend our evenings here, I wouldn't mind having a little handiwork present like my crochet basket, or needlework. Lap work type of things. Husband also works on his computer in here in the evenings, but that's his decision whether or not to change it. I enjoy that he works in here with me. Sometimes we'll watch a movie together, but we don't have TV so that isn't an issue.

I want the room to be beautiful, smell good (candles!), totally lack clutter (including clothes piles). I do NOT want it to be a playroom, office, or laundry mat. I want to WANT to be here, and not HAVE to be because work is eminent. I would like music, but we just invested in an IPod system that is set up in our main living area. We'd have to move it all the time.

I definitely need a place for everything (and everything in it's place!). Color is something to consider. Our walls are all cream color. I've thought about accent color, but haven't decided. This is our favorite room to fill with pictures of our kids, so I'll probably update those a bit.

We invested in a Sleep Number bed a few years back, but it has no head or foot board. This bugs the tar out of me. We've looked for years, but have never found exactly what we want. In the most recent issue of Martha Stewart Living, she had a picture of a headboard made from a quilt, hung on a curtain rod as the head board. I like it! It has flexible appeal and possibilities. And it's cheaper.

Habits. Oh boy! As I've worked on habits with the children, I've noticed a few of my own that could use some help. Making the bed. This is not something I was ever encouraged to do and though I do it MOST of the time, I don't do it ALL the time and I don't always do it RIGHT. By right, I mean beautifully; decorative pillows in place, all comfy and fluffed, with the sheets out of sight.

Another habit is piles. I greatly dislike piles and *I* am the biggest pile maker of the bunch. The floor by my side of the bed is a joke! Piles of books, papers. Wanna shock? My bedside table currently has water bottles (2), a glass, a cup (that is daughters and she is currently using as she lays in my bed with a fever) 3 pencils, 2 pens, lip balm, ear plugs, baby's medicine, song sheet from church, a timer (I have NO idea!) a back massager, a jar candle, a wash cloth (huh?), my memory verse file box, a basket with books, magazines, mail and ear phones, tags from my plants (which I took out of my pocket last night), a coaster (that neither glass is on), hair pins and ponytail holder, more ear plugs and body butter--oh, and a bottle BioFreeze plus a medicine measure. And dust. We can't forget the dust! And hello! Let's not forget the clock, lamp and controller to the bed. Whew! There are also FOUR drawers in the stand--full of junk. So a little change in behavior may be in order!

It's just too humiliating to post before pictures, so I will commit to "after" pictures by the end of the month.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Yep, that's my problem. The master bedroom is the dumping ground. It holds all the stuff that I cannot fit anywhere else. The exercise bike, the keyboard, the clothes in storage, etc. The room is CLEAN but so cluttered. I need to do this round up thing, too. LOL.

Joni said...

Oy! Your nightstand sounds similar to mine! Maybe I need to take Laura's challenge too. ;)