"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Friday, April 25, 2008

Math: Decision '08

So I get to the convention. Beeline it to RightStart to place my annual order. But I had a question. The question about what comes AFTER. That dreaded question that I will need an answer to in the next couple of years. No! It's not that far off. I'm long term planning, remember...so I've gotta "know".

Well, they point me to the next booth: "Video Text Interactive". Never heard of it. So I hear the shpeal. Not overwhelmed. Dollar signs flashing before my eyes, and all. I put the question behind me and move on.

Two aisles over I see this huge yellow banner and "Teaching Textbooks". Now them I've heard of briefly. I talk to the family manning the booth and am very impressed. Not only that, images of my son and his struggles with daily math are tearing me up and I start to have vain imaginings of a life without the words..."I hate math!"

I'm so encouraged that I call the husband and son at home for them to check out the website and play with the sample lessons. I go back to RightStart and cancel my order for the son.

Fast forward two days and I'm home checking the website. Husband doesn't like it. Son loves the computer part. I start looking at levels and realize their scope and sequence is WAY different from what we've been doing. Son is actually so far ahead of this program, instead of Math 4, he'd be closer to Math 7. Hmmm.

I start poking around on the site and realize there is NOTHING about who they are or what their methodology is. There is no INFORMATION. This begins to bug me. A LOT. Now, over at RightStart there is TONS of info. They not only go into their philosophy of teaching, but with research to back it up. This is what sold me on it in the first place! That and the glowing recommendations. Now, in all fairness to Teaching Textbooks, they have little videos on their site, but NONE of them worked so I have no idea what they say!

So, the hard part. Letting the son know that we were not going to use the totally "fun" video game math program. I was expecting tears and meltdown. What I got was..."Okay." Ahhhh! Music to my ears! I told him we'd stick with what we were doing and maybe find a math game for fun. He was content.

RightStart has been a great program for three years. The only reason we have any problems with it, I'm beginning to see, is the pressure I have put on him. Mostly to perform at a certain speed. Any speed other than slow motion. I have easily frustrated, and that has frustrated him. I repent!!! I've learned my lesson! I see the trees now...through the forest of practice problems!

So RightStart called me a couple of hours ago to verify my order. I had them re-add next year's level to the order and I still get the free shipping.

What can I say. When you have a good thing, stick with it! Don't question it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are slowly making our way through RightStart. After two years of math torture, this curriculum has worked wonders for Bug.

I've heard over and over that RightStart is very advanced. Then I don't feel so bad that we just finished Level C. D is ready to go and E is on the bookshelf. ;)

After that, I don't know, but I'll let you know if I find something. We may go into Ray's Practical Arithmetic.