"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Friday, April 04, 2008

I Took The HomeMade Laundry Soap Plunge!


Yes, I did! I took the plunge and made my own dry laundry soap concoction. It took less than ten minutes, will save a ton of money and hopefully, a ton of skin problems! This is so easy, I'm a bit incensed at myself for not trying this sooner!

My good friend EEEEMommy took this plunge a while ago and reported good things. That was enough for me! I have actually planned this for awhile--with all the ingredients ready--but had a LARGE jug of Tide to use up first. In the mean time, we were dealing with way too much soap residue that we couldn't seem to rinse out of our clothes. Itchy, dry--ridiculously dry!--skin issues. Fading clothes. Junk like that! I believe that this will make some difference.

So here's what I did: 1 bar of Fels-Naptha (completed grated in the food processor) available at most all grocery stores (laundry aisle). This came out to a little over 1 cup. 1/2 c Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (also readily available in the laundry aisle). Lastly, 1/2 c of 20-Mule Team Borax (pretty much available everywhere). YOU USE ONE TABLESPOON PER LOAD! Now this would be for a regular size/regular dirt load. Use a bit more for larger or more dirty clothes. I haven't dealt with the pre-treating issue. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up my Spray N'Wash yet. We'll see.

So, I checked out things during the wash cycle and there were little to NO suds. This is the lack of sulfates, from what I understand. The Sodium Laurel Sulfates that "greenies" talk about being so bad, are the things that foam your toothpaste, or suds your soap & shampoo. And apparently, your laundry soap! You do not need suds for "clean".

Also, from what I understand, since these natural ingredients are so much better all round, including helping clothes last longer by actually helping the fibers instead of destroying them, a little longer wash time may be called for--or even a soak. I've gotten into the habit of 6 min washes to hurry. I realize that won't do the trick. Not a big deal at all!

So far, so good. My husband is very sensitive to soapy smells, so I think he'll appreciate the lack there of. I was encouraged when I took a big whiff of the finished product. You could add a scent using essential oils, if you wished.

So eliminating bleach is next. I've checked things out and it appears either 1/2 c vinegar or 1/2 c borax will do the trick--or both, for whitening AND brightening. That will be interesting, but I'm anxious to try it. My poor men of the house are struggling with the skin issues.

I also want to get rid of the dryer sheets. I've heard so many mixed things about this, I'm just going to have to do more research. One thing I read said that vinegar in the wash eliminates the need for softener? I'm not sure. Not very chemistry minded here! I know that I've developed a seemingly abnormal craving to hang clothes on a line! Since our neighborhood association doesn't appreciate seeing such despicable items, I would be rebellion. I've considered the pros and cons, and am still deliberating!

Regardless, I'm excited to make this first step if for no other reason than money! What a boatload this will save. It's something like 95% savings. I can dig that! I'm so glad not to have to heft those huge "tanks" of soap anymore too!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is going to take some getting used to. How will Zach recognize that his new clothes came from your house. He always knows the clothes by the scent (which, by the way, is pleasant). I guess he'll have to get used to no scent.
Eager to hear how it goes. Little K has so many issues, this may be good for our family too.

suzette

Dana said...

We use vinegar in the rinse cycle instead of fabric softener. We put it in the Downey ball and let the washer do the rest. Rick was worried that we'd end up smelling like pickles, but that didn't happen. I've yet to make my own soap, but wouldn't mind trying it some day.

Blessings--
Dana

Daisy said...

I'm so glad you found a "dry" recipe. All I've seen are globby, liquid ones. I've not been brave enough to try it. I still use DREFT for all our laundry because we are sooo sensitive. I'm going to try it though and this way sounds far less labor intensive.

Tracy said...

I have been thinking about this for awhile. (I have always wanted a clothesline, but live in a neighborhood...) After reading your blog, I was inspired to start making my own soap for laundry. Unfortunately, I cannot find the washing soda. Any suggestions, besides online?
I'm in Indiana. I've checked chain grocery stores and even hardware supply stores. My husband finally said, "Just comment on her blog and ask."
Any help you could pass along would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! Tracy
**By the way, I have found your blog very helpful-Thank you!

Tracy said...

Just a follow-up---I found it! Thank you for your help :-) No excuses now, I will be trying it out this week.
It seems that things are sometimes arranged "differently" down here in B-town. (This has trained me to be persevere.) It was in the laundry aisle, just not with the detergents.
Thank you again for you blog. I seem to have time to read, just not time post on my own.
Thanks!
Tracy