"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Friday, April 04, 2008

Review: The Sowers Series Biographies

Have you ever been totally enamored of someone? According to Webster's 1828 Dictionary, that can mean captivated. But what captivates us to another person? I'm not talking husbands here, I'm talking history! And the history I'm talking about is the history that you learn from living books. Specifically, living biographies. Since beginning our jaunt into American history, we have found ourselves quite enamored with certain people.

First, there was George Washington who totally captured our hearts. This was largely due to reading this book--and visiting his plantation didn't hurt either! We became fairly enthralled with this great man and how God used him. Our whole family truly came to love him because of learning. We even bought ourselves a beautiful painting of him for our fireplace mantle.


Then there was John Chapman, better known as Johnny Appleseed. Can I just say, I've never, NEVER heard anything about this man like what I read in this book! We are totally inspired too! We've already marked down a festival in the fall that is very near us and we are planning to grow some apple trees from seed when we are able to get moving with our gardening.

It may be coincidence that George and John (absolutely no Beatle references, please!) captured us through the same book series, Sowers Series Biographies, but more likely, it was God just blessing us with good information and great storytelling, particularly in the John Chapman book! This series is based on writing from primary sources; diaries, letters, etc. That gives a much more accurate picture, in my book. There are at least 27 titles in the series, that we know about. I hope to collect and read them all! Now we have read a couple of the others in the series that weren't as good, but I must still highly recommend this series! The Samuel B. Morse book didn't draw us in, for instance. I'm sure this will not be the last you hear from me regarding this series!

But what incredible men of God we are meeting! And what great characters that form our nation's history! We're always anxious to read more.

2 comments:

Joni said...

Thanks for sharing...we're gonna check these out!

Anonymous said...

We love these too! We have read about Abigail Adams (loved this one!), Abraham Lincoln, Sir Isaac Newton, and also George Washington. We have Robert E. Lee, the Wright Brothers, Christopher Columbus, and Daniel Webster sitting on our shelf just waiting to be read! I got all of these through the Paperback Swap - such a great way to build up a rich library for little money. ( :