"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

All-Natural Shampoos

All-natural shampoos. That is what I really wanted to post about. For some reason, I felt I needed to give you a background. So if you've read my last post, bare with me for "the ugly".


Remember I promised to post about the good, bad and the ugly? Well, we've been trying all-natural shampoos. We've tried about four--different prices and brands. They all have varying degrees of "smell-good" and they all have that ever-wanted list of all-natural ingredients. No chemicals or "poisons". The problem is they just don't work!

Now, they may "work" fine for eight year old boys with close-cut hair and men with shaved heads. Yes. You heard me right. Shaved heads. But, for women living in drysville Indiana--with long hair and frizz issues? No can do.

Let's face it! Nothing works all the time. Including all-natural products! Believe me. It's a great idea, but there are issues! Dry, frizzy, staticy issues! Fly-away hair--flying far, far away! Tangles--OOooh, the tangles. It was just too much to hope for. So I'm currently embracing my chemical-laden shampoo and conditioner. And yes, I tried the matching conditioners too.

I'm not giving up, however. The husband and son are good with them and they need them for skin issues. Daughter and I have to think about our beauty first. HeeHee. Just kidding. I'm really not sure what the answer is. I'll keep researching. I know that coating my hair in honey for hours is not a solution, nor is sleeping with coconut oil on my head.

It could be a long road.

4 comments:

EEEEMommy said...

I appreciate your candidness. I was just looking at the ingredients on my favorite shampoo & conditioner and wondering. I think I'll take steps in other areas and stick with John Frieda for now. :)

I did find the Fels Naptha and the other ingredients at Kroger, and made up my first batch of homemade laundry soap! So far it seems to be working. :)

mtnmamaof4 said...

Don't give up!! Try Burt's Bees or Aubrey (my FAVORITE)- especially aubrey organics GBP shampoo and conditioner. One trick for really clean long hair, I've discovered, is to add baking soda to the shampoo in your hand before putting it on your head. And remember, clean your scalp, not your hair so much. (I've tried vinegar rinses and shampoo bars without much luck although I've heard Burt's bees carries a shampoo bar that works well.)

Think about the pill patch and the nicorette patch. Doctors know chemicals seep into our skin. Now, reread your shampoo and decide if you really want those chemicals seeping through your skin- especially so close to your brain! :) Had to give one last plug for natural!

God bless you and yours!
another Melissa

Melissa said...

In response to "other Melissa's" comment--I really WANTED to use them. Burt's Bees is one that I tried, too. I was bummed because I love their other products. I hadn't heard of the other brand you mentioned or of the baking soda--I'll have to try that. I just have SO much frizz. It's scary without my Frizz-ease. Of course, there's the whole hair color issue too. Ick! What's a girl to do? :) Thanks for your comment!
Blessings,
Melissa

Lisa @Me and My House said...

Hi again Melissa,

Have you tried my favorite natural(no chemicals) shampoo and conditioner? It's from Young Living Essential Oil company. It's more expensive than anything else I've ever bought. But I need SOOO much less of it, that it isn't more expensive. Even for my "chair length" hair, just a dab the size of a dime.

Link to and info on the company here:
http://frommeandmyhouse.com/gsac.htm

I was just thinking this morning, wondering if I should blog on the natural products we use. A friend mentioned last week that she just wants to come to my house and go through all the stuff I buy to learn.