"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Tough Questions

Right off the heels of daughter's sweet prayer, son's Bible lesson turned a corner. Suddenly Joshua and the destruction of Jericho, came with some tough questions.

"Why did God want women and children killed?"
"Why did God allow Adam and Even to sin?"

Don't you just love it when that happens!? Well, I do because I attribute those questions (and all the other tough questions) to the reason so many turn away from the Lord. Without the ability to reason Biblically; to understand who God really is, people in churches all over the world can't always get their questions answered and they turn away from the church and God completely, the minute "the world" throws those questions in their face!

If we are unable, with the help of the Holy Spirit, to give and show answers to even the toughest questions, the foundation of all that we teach about a relationship with Him, falters. Suddenly, the ground may not seem so firm.

Admittedly, it's not always the adults that have the perfect answer. I had to truly think and pray about it after our initial talk (which really began yesterday). Though I knew the answers: God's holy nature, His Sovereignty, His mercy--How to help my son understand them was tougher. I looked it up on christiananswers.net and found this post that made it all more easy to communicate. Son and I talked more and I saw the light and shine in his eyes as the whole picture began to make more sense to him. We read a few scripture verses, and we'll keep reading more, to remind ourselves daily who and what we are dealing with.

I'm really thankful right now that my son asked me a tough question and that we were able to pray about it and discuss it. If you ask my son someday if he knows the answer, I think he'll be able to tell you. Another Hallelujah!

"The Lord, the Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will be no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations."
Ex 34:6-7

1 comment:

EEEEMommy said...

Not being afraid to tackle the tough questions will produce much fruit! We need to be equipped, and through the Holy Spirit we can be! Press on! Off to check out that post...