"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Fresh Ginger

Aren't you just dying to know a little bit about ginger? Just enough for it to be useful?


Well, most importantly (I may have posted this before, but it bears repeating), you can use it in this great "fight off a cold" tea:
  • 1 kettle of boiling water
  • 1 lg pitcher with...
  • 1-2" of slivered ginger (I find this much easier than grating. Less messy too)
  • 3T fresh lemon juice (fresh lemon juice is sooo good compared to already squeezed! Way more Vitamin C too!)
  • 2T honey (use Raw if you can!)
Pour the water over and either put a lid on it, or a plate to cover. Let it steep for a good hour. Stir well. Then I use a mini cup strainer and scoop out all the ginger. If you leave it in, it becomes too spicy and burns little mouths. You can store this in the fridge and reheat, or drink it cold (the husband likes this). It's way more soothing than sucking on Vitamin C lozenges. The honey and the ginger aid the respiratory system, among MANY other things, so you can't beat it during cold season.

My kids like it both hot and cold. If it's too strong for their little tongues, I just add a bit more water (ice cube). Using a straw (when cold only) helps the littlest one drink it all up as it's not her favorite taste, but she doesn't dislike it.

Now, when you buy the ginger, be sure to choose as straight, non-knotty a piece as you can. Also watch for a smooth skin. Excessive wrinkles indicates age. For this tea, there is no need to peel the ginger.

A far as storage goes, that's easy! Place your ginger in a paper lunch sack. Wrap it up and stick it in the fridge. It will keep a good month. This is much simpler, more reasonable, and just as effective as soaking it in wine.

This is not by all means, all things ginger, but it's a start. I'm no authority, but I'm learning. And, I'm liking what I discover! Very useful. Believe me, I'm thrilled with any "remedy" that is good for all the members of my family. Hope you try this great tea!

1 comment:

EEEEMommy said...

Thanks! I kept meaning to ask you for this recipe! I'm glad you posted it. I'll have to add ginger and lemons to my shopping list.