"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Book Sale Take

I did my usual thing at the most recent library book sale and ended up with a take of 43 books. This may seem a lot, and granted, it's not bad, but I used to take home over a hundred each time! Now I spend a lot of my time there seeing books I already have and wondering which of my friends don't have them and would want them! It's amazing to me that there is still so many that I don't have yet.


Well, I was pleased with what I found. Quite a few biographies this time. I'm beginning to collect books for our coming Ancient history studies, though they are still a good year off.

The treasures of the sale would have to be FOUR, count 'em--four Carolyn Haywood books. The big purge is on at our local library. I also found a wonderful copy of "The First Steamboat on the Mississippi", by Sterling North--a very hard to find book. I know, because I tried. I love his books! I also netted three Childhood of Famous Americans (which we like most of the time), one Landmark (we we like all of the time), and a bunch of other oldie-but-goodies.

I did splurge a whole .25 cents on a copy of "Anna Banana's 100 Jump-Rope Rhymes". Hmmm. I was also warned that jumping rope is harder than say...climbing a mountain?...on the 'ole un-trained body, that is. Well, I've got the book anyway! Daughter may have to jump rope with her friends instead of me! :)

I rarely buy anything published after 1965. I also use the author list that I've compiled from Jan Bloom's "Who Should We Then Read" and Gladys Hunt's "Honey For A Child's Heart". I also like the list that Christine Miller has put together, and of course, my own experience reading A LOT!

It's difficult to buy a book you've never heard of--at first! But once you've developed a trust in the source of the recommendation, you will find that there are some fabulous gems out there being discarded only because of age.

2 comments:

D said...

Oh, how I love library book sales! Of course, we need to add an entire room to our house because we have absolutely no place left for any more books... :-)

Thanks for stopping and leaving me a comment on my blog.

EEEEMommy said...

This needs to become a priority for me!