"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Milly-Molly-Mandy





I have just been introduced to Milly-Molly-Mandy books for the first time. They were recommended on some booklist I saw, and the name stuck. I really had no clue what they were about, but when I found the "The Milly-Molly Mandy Stories", (1928) by Joyce Lankester Brisley, 13 story collection, I snatched it up. Daughter and I just started reading them together and they are totally delightful! What a breath of fresh air! The book opens with this poem:


It's good to be sitting still,
And it's good to be running wild,
And it's good to be by yourself alone
Or with another child.

And whether the child's grown up,
Or whether the child is small,
So long as it really is a Child
It doesn't matter at all.


They are sweet and have wonderful little lessons about such things as obedience, commerce, diligence, etc. They definitely teach wonderful character qualities along with practicalities. They include wonderful use of repetition as a literary device--and NOT in an annoying fashion. They are very simple stories teaching such things as problem solving and industry (as in being industrious). LOVE 'em! :)

Interestingly enough, they speak to children in a manner that does not limit them either in their abilities, or ideals. In other words, they don't talk to kids like they're dumb or can't do anything. I seem to expect that from newer books. Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised, as I read, how much my four year old was getting out of them!

The author also illustrated the stories. The drawings are beautiful drawings of a period in time that is more appealing to me than most modern day children's books pictures. I look forward to hunting down the other volumes of stories and hopefully soon! If you have a little girl, I can't imagine you not enjoying them together!

2 comments:

EEEEMommy said...

A favorite here too!! :)
I ordered the big book from Veritas Press and began reading it to El, then she finished it herself.

EEEEMommy said...

I forgot to mention that she'd often read it aloud to her little sisters. That always warms a mommy heart! :)